Maryland football cornerbacks coach Henry Baker is expected to leave the program to become Marshall’s cornerbacks coach, according to 247Sports’ Matt Zenitz.

Baker’s departure was confirmed by a Maryland spokesperson. It comes after former Boston College co-defensive coordinator and defensive backs coach Aazaar Abdul-Rahim returned to Maryland in January as its co-defensive coordinator, associate head coach for defense and cornerbacks coach — filling Baker’s role.

Abdul-Rahim previously coached the Terps’ secondary from 2016-18.

Baker has worked with Maryland’s cornerbacks since 2020, returning to the college ranks after one season as the New York Giants’ assistant defensive backs coach.

[Maryland football’s 2023 was respectable but left more to be desired]

He instantly improved a Terps pass defense that allowed the most passing yards per game in the Big Ten in 2019. In 2020, the unit gave up the third-fewest passing yards per game in the conference.

Under Baker’s tutelage, Maryland had a pair of cornerbacks selected in last year’s NFL Draft — Jakorian Bennett and Deonte Banks.

Bennett led the Big Ten and was tied for ninth among all Division I players in pass breakups in 2021, earning All-Big Ten honorable mention honors in 2021 and 2022 before becoming a fourth-round pick. Banks received an All-Big Ten honorable mention in 2022 and was a first-round selection last April.

This story has been updated