Former NC State quarterback MJ Morris announced his transfer to Maryland on X, the site previously known as Twitter, Wednesday. Morris has three years of eligibility remaining.

Morris appeared in nine games over the past two seasons for the Wolfpack, amassing 1,367 yards and 14 touchdowns. The sophomore went 4-2 across two seasons as a starter and was named the ACC Rookie of the Week twice in 2022. Morris opted to redshirt the rest of his 2023 campaign to preserve his eligibility after starting four games this season.

The 6-foot-2, 205-pound Georgia native was a four-star recruit in the Class of 2022, per 247Sports composite rating.

[Despite moving away, this Maryland alum trekked to every home football game in 2023]

Morris will fill a needed void for the Terps. Redshirt senior Taulia Tagovailoa, Maryland’s current starting signal caller and the most accomplished quarterback in program history, will play his final collegiate game against Auburn in the TransPerfect Music City Bowl.

Morris will contend with redshirt sophomore Billy Edwards Jr. and redshirt freshman Cameron Edge to become the Terps’ 2024 starter. Edwards led Maryland to a 31-24 victory over Northwestern in 2022 in the lone start of his career in place of an injured Tagovailoa, throwing for 166 yards and one touchdown.

Edge was a four-star prospect in the Class of 2022.