Welcome to The Diamondback Sports Digest. Every week, we send you a rundown of the latest Maryland athletics news.

Maryland football is 5-0 for the first time since 2001. That same year, Fellowship of the Ring came out in theaters and Billboard’s top three singles were from Lifehouse, Alicia Keys and Janet Jackson.

My point? It’s been a minute since the Terps have had this kind of success. In this week’s newsletter, we’ll cover their win over Indiana, Maryland men’s and women’s soccer’s scoring struggles, a football recruit’s explosive performance and more.

Maryland football demolishes Indiana, 44-17

The Terps have two goals for each game: win and play to their standard. The first goal wasn’t a problem, but Saturday marked the first time they fulfilled both.

Maryland started fast. It got its first lead 25 seconds into the game and never relinquished it. Indiana mustered just three points until the fourth quarter, when coach Michael Locksley emptied his bench. Football reporter Brandon Schwartzberg has more on the win.

Tai Felton led the way for Maryland’s offense with a career-high 134 yards. He became the first Terps receiver to catch three touchdowns in one game since Torrey Smith in 2010 and the first to receive a trio of scores in the first half.

“I think this may do wonders for the confidence [Felton] needs to play with,” Locksley said. “I’m hoping today it jumpstarts him to where that becomes the standard for him and how he can play for us.”

Football reporter Taylor Lyons has more on the junior receiver’s big day.

Goals rare for Maryland men’s and women’s soccer

It’s hard to win without goals. Maryland soccer is finding that out the hard way.

Women’s soccer has yet to score or win in Big Ten play. Earlier this season, women’s soccer reporter Lea Glaser dove into the team’s offensive struggles.

The Terps have lost two games since then, including a 4-0 loss to Michigan Sunday.

Men’s soccer, which started the year with aspirations of winning the Big Ten, currently sits at the bottom of the conference. The Terps haven’t scored a goal in three straight games and lost 2-0 to Northwestern Friday.

“The keeper made three or four point blank saves,” Cirovski said. “Those will start going in at some point.”

An errant pass from keeper Micah Seger gifted the Wildcats their second goal. Men’s soccer reporter Matthew Neus dove into Maryland’s miscues earlier this season.

A look at the possible next great Maryland quarterback

Archbishop Spalding quarterback Malik Washington came to College Park to see Maryland’s win Saturday over Indiana. The night before, he shredded Pallotti.

Washington — who has offers from the Terps, Arkansas, Duke and more per 247Sports — played just a half in a 62-0 seamless victory. It was enough time for him to show the skills Maryland and others have coveted with three touchdown passes.

Recruiting reporter Harrison Rich covered Washington’s game and spoke to him about his interest in the Terps.

Best Bits
Maryland volleyball was swept by No. 22 Ohio State Sunday in an error-filled outing.
After losing its Big Ten opener to No. 6 Rutgers via shootout, No. 8 Maryland field hockey rebounded with a 4-2 win over No. 16 Penn State.
Maryland men’s basketball doesn’t have a commit in its 2024 class yet. Could Matthew Hodge be the first? Harrison has more on the four-star forward and more in this week’s recruiting roundup.
Jaishawn Barham has firmly established himself as one of the Big Ten’s best defenders. Taylor dove into what makes the Maryland linebacker a special talent.

Tweet of the week

Is it craven to put my own Tweet? Perhaps, but this halftime interview from Locksley is worth your time.

Game of the week

Maryland football gets its first test against one of the conference’s best. The Terps will face Ohio State at noon on the road Saturday.