Maryland baseball continues to build up its 2025 class ahead of coach Matt Swope’s inaugural season.

After securing the commitment of local product Sammy Berman last week, outfielder Nate Hawton-Henley announced his commitment to the Terps on Sunday. He became Maryland’s eighth recruit of the class.

Hawton-Henley hails from Fairfax, Virginia, and attends St. John’s College High School in Washington, D.C. He’s described by PrepBaseball Report as a contact-first hitter with high-end athleticism and the versatility to play all three outfield spots. He runs a 6.53 60-yard dash, while his maximum exit velocity is 96 miles per hour and his throws from the outfield top out at 93 miles per hour.

Hawton-Henley has shown potential as a pitcher too. His fastball ranges from 87 to 89 miles per hour and tops out at 90 miles per hour. He sports a changeup, curveball and slider along with his fastball.

It was an otherwise quiet week on the commitment front, but a few noteworthy visits are on the horizon for Maryland football and men’s basketball.

[Recruiting roundup: Maryland men’s lacrosse lands five-star goalie]

Visits

Football

Multiple big-time recruits will be in College Park for the Terps’ Friday night blackout game against Virginia.

Malik Washington, 2025, Quarterback, Archbishop Spalding (Severn, Maryland)

Washington, the top-ranked Maryland quarterback and a top-20 signal caller in the class of 2025, will be in attendance Friday night, according to 247Sports. The junior from Archbishop Spalding is a two-sport star in football and basketball, playing for Team Melo on the AAU circuit. He averaged 17 points and nine rebounds per game last season.

Washington led Spalding to an 11-1 record and a Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association championship as a first-year starter last season, throwing for 2,979 yards with 29 touchdowns and eight interceptions.

Jaylen Harvey, 2024, EDGE, Quince Orchard (Gaithersburg, Maryland)

Harvey set a final three of Maryland, Penn State and USC on Aug. 11. The Maryland native is a top-30 edge rusher in the class of 2024, according to 247Sports.

Jaylen Gilchrist, 2025, Offensive Tackle, Salem (Virginia Beach, Virginia)

The No. 3 class of 2025 prospect in Virginia, Gilchrist is a consensus four-star with offers from the likes of Alabama, Georgia and Penn State. Maryland was one of the first schools to offer the 6-foot-4, 290-pound offensive lineman in May 2022 before he started to gain more traction as a recruit.

[Recruiting roundup: Top 40 men’s basketball recruit to visit Maryland this weekend]

Larry Tarver Jr., 2024, Cornerback, Norland (Miami, Florida)

2024 cornerback commit Larry Tarver Jr. will also be in attendance for the Friday night blackout game against Virginia. He committed to the Terps back in June and is one of a trio of corners slated to join the program next season along with Lloyd Irvin III and Lakhi Roland.

Men’s Basketball

Matthew Hodge, 2024, Power Forward, St. Rose (Belmar, New Jersey)

Kevin Willard continues his jam-packed recruiting season by bringing in his third player in as many weeks for a visit. Following Jaeden Mustaf and Efeosa Oliogu’s visits over the past two weekends, New Jersey native Matthew Hodge will make the trip to College Park on Thursday.

The four-star recruit is the No. 20 power forward in the 2024 class and the No. 5 prospect in New Jersey, per 247Sports’ composite rankings. He released a top 10 list in August that included the Terps. He has already visited Villanova, Xavier, Penn State and Marquette. He plans to visit Virginia the weekend after his stay at Maryland.

The 6-foot-8, 200-pound forward averaged 14.75 points, roughly nine rebounds and three assists per game as a junior at St. Rose.