Former Tewaaraton Award winner Jared Bernhardt is returning to the Maryland men’s lacrosse program as its director of player development, per a release.

“We are super excited to welcome Jared Bernhardt back to College Park and to have him on our staff,” coach John Tillman said in the release.

Bernhardt returns to the Terps with vast experience across the sports world.

The 2017 national champion ended his Maryland men’s lacrosse career atop the program’s all-time ranks in career points (290) and goals (202), as well as single-season points (99) and goals (71). Bernhardt was also a four-time All-American and joined Matt Rambo as the second Terp to ever win the men’s lacrosse Tewaaraton Award.

[Maryland men’s lacrosse’s inexperience led to an up-and-down 2023 season]

Bernhardt then transferred to Division II Ferris State to play football as the school’s quarterback, leading the Bulldogs to their first-ever national championship. After going undrafted in the 2022 NFL Draft, Bernhardt signed with the Atlanta Falcons. He retired from the NFL in May.

Bernhardt’s role at Maryland will consist of preparing student athletes for success personally, academically and athletically, according to the release.

“We are looking forward to him being able to share his wealth of experiences and mentor our players to help them grow in all areas of their lives,” Tillman said in the release. “We are ecstatic to have him join our program and we cannot wait to watch him grow in his new role.”

Bernhardt will become the third Bernhardt on Tillman’s staff. He joins his older brothers, Jake and Jesse, who serve as assistant coaches.