Maryland women’s basketball’s Diamond Miller was selected with the No. 2 overall pick by the Minnesota Lynx in the 2023 WNBA Draft Monday.

Widely regarded as the second best prospect in the 2023 draft, Miller was selected by an organization transitioning into a new era following the retirement of franchise-icon Sylvia Fowles.

Miller, who averaged 19.7 points, 6.4 rebounds and 2.9 assists in her senior season, will join a talented Lynx team that struggled last season. 

The Lynx have had a winning record in nine of the last 10 seasons and have missed the playoffs just once in that span, making it an ideal spot for Miller to develop as she won’t be asked to carry the scoring burden or lead a young team.

[In potentially her last home game, Diamond Miller gave Maryland fans a night to remember]

After a standout four years in College Park that included two Big Ten first-team selections and a second team all-American nod, Maryland’s 16th highest scorer will join a Lynx team that features prominent scorers in Napheesa Collier (14.6 career points per game), Aerial Powers (14.4 in 2022) and Kayla McBride (13.3 last season).

Miller ties Marissa Coleman — drafted second overall in 2009 by the Washington Mystics — for the highest ever draft selection for a Terp. Miller also becomes Brenda Frese’s ninth first round pick as Maryland coach.

While Miller was the most notable Terp to hear her name called Monday, she wasn’t the only member of the side that made it to the elite eight to get drafted.

The Dallas Wings selected guard Abby Meyers with the 11th pick. Meyers, who spent one season at Maryland after three at Princeton, quickly became one of the Terps’ go-to offensive players; the Maryland native averaged 14.3 points and shot 39 percent from three while averaging 30.5 minutes a night.