Loyola Marymount guard Chance Stephens will transfer to Maryland men’s basketball ahead of his sophomore season, he announced on Instagram on Saturday.

Stephens primarily came off the bench for the Lions last year and shot 37.4 percent from deep. He served as a three-point shooter throughout Loyola Marymount’s 19-12 campaign, with 131 of his 145 field goal attempts on the season coming from behind the arc.

The guard averaged six points per game last year and scored a career-high 23 points in an overtime win over Wake Forest. He shot 7-for-10 from behind the arc in the victory, including a go-ahead three with 16 seconds remaining that ended up being the game-winning shot.

[Assistant Grant Billmeier leaves Maryland men’s basketball to become head coach at NJIT]

Stephens finished the 2022-23 season with 49 made three-pointers, more than any returning Terp.

The California native committed to Rhode Island in November 2020 while current Maryland assistant coach David Cox was the Rams’ head coach, but he reopened his recruitment and eventually landed at Loyola Marymount after Cox was fired in March 2022.

Stephens becomes the first player to transfer to Maryland this offseason and currently takes up the Terps’ last scholarship spot ahead of the 2023-24 season following the departure of Hakim Hart and the return of Jahmir Young. If Maryland is able to return senior Donta Scott or add another player in the transfer portal, current scholarship players must depart to make space.

Pavlo Dziuba and Arnaud Revaz currently occupy two of those scholarship sports despite combining to play just 80 minutes across a combined five seasons during their careers for the Terps.