Service on the Metro’s Green Line from the College Park Metro Station will shut down July 22 to Sept. 4 as part of a large summer maintenance plan, according to a statement released by the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority Tuesday.

The maintenance project is “essential to safe and reliable rail service,” said Andy Off, WMATA’s executive vice president of infrastructure.

The 44-day shutdown will span five stations, from Fort Totten to Greenbelt.

In an email to The Diamondback Wednesday, WMATA said the Yellow Line — which also provides service to downtown Washington, D.C. — will shut down for the same period this summer.

Under proposed changes for fiscal year 2024, the Yellow Line will not service the College Park Station and only run between Mt. Vernon Square and Huntington.

[Purple Line construction to bring traffic changes to UMD campus]

The construction at College Park Metro Station will focus on completing fiber-optic cable installation on the Green Line.

The summer projects will also include completing roofing for the Orange Line, replacing steel rail that is susceptible to breakage, installing fiber optic cable to improve communication, improving customer information displays and improving Dupont Circle Metro Station’s north entrance.

WMATA wrote in a statement to The Diamondback that it will provide free shuttle bus service between the affected stations.

This story has been updated.