University of Maryland faculty and staff will receive a 4.5 percent cost of living adjustment increase, effective Nov. 1, university President Darryll Pines announced Friday.

Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan announced the increase Sept. 29 for all regular state employees, which includes faculty and staff at this university. University Human Resources will distribute additional guidance this week on the specific employment categories eligible for the increase.

Cost of living adjustments are income increases to keep up with the cost of living.

[Maryland GOP gubernatorial candidate Dan Cox loses effort to delay vote counting]

“On behalf of our entire campus community, I’d like to thank Governor Hogan and the Maryland General Assembly for their continued support of our valued faculty and staff,” Pines wrote.

This is the third cost of living adjustment for faculty and staff this year. They received a one percent adjustment in January and a three percent adjustment in July.

“This cost of living adjustment will help state employees and their families with the challenges they face from historic inflation, and — amid the post-pandemic labor shortage — today’s actions advance our enhanced efforts to recruit and retain a talented workforce,” Hogan said.