The Prince George’s County Public Schools Board of Education’s policy and governance committee discussed a proposed sustainability policy that would include creating a plan for new, green infrastructure at county schools Tuesday.

The committee voted to submit the new sustainability policy to the main board.

If the board approves the policy it would start the process of implementing its Climate Action Change Plan. The plan includes replacing its buses with zero-emission vehicles, similar to the county’s investment in electric buses. The school board would also change bus routes to reduce gas consumption, according to a policy memo.

The board will also be required to conduct an energy audit on all the school-related buildings in the district.

[PGCPS continues to grapple with teacher shortage]

The sustainability plan would identify ways to build green infrastructure and reduce food waste. Private partners such as Fengate Capital Management Ltd., who is helping to build six new public schools in the county, would be required to contribute to rebates and other programs that improve the district’s climate resilience.

PGCPS CEO Monica Goldson will lead this policy’s implementation on the administrative side.

During the meeting, the committee also considered revisions to the hiring policy, establishing which office is in charge of hiring certain personnel in the school system.

Under the revisions, the education board would be responsible for appointing certified administrative and supervisory staff.

The CEO would be responsible for hiring and setting the salaries of the chief executive positions and necessary executive staff in the CEO’s office, according to the policy memo.

The board voted to send the policy back to include hiring guidelines for all PGCPS county personnel in the policy.