The University of Maryland’s Office of Student Conduct received five referrals for noncompliance with COVID-19 policies since the first week of the spring semester, according to a university spokesperson.

The referrals, which occurred between Jan. 25 and Feb. 25, were for “COVID-19-related violations around face coverings, physical distancing, testing, guests, and more,” according to the statement.

These five referrals were included in the approximately 90 referrals the student conduct office has seen since the start of the school year, the statement said.

[UMD to lift indoor mask mandate in libraries, gyms]

This was a drastic decrease from the first month of the spring 2021 semester, where more than 100 students were referred to the student conduct office — about 20 times more than the number of referrals so far this semester.

In January, university administration announced in a campuswide email that all community members would be required to receive a booster dose of the COVID-19 vaccine. Community members would also be required to wear KN95 masks in classroom settings, along with continuing to wear masks indoors at all times, the Jan. 7 email said.

The KN95 requirement in classrooms is still intact, but the university announced on Feb. 25 that masks are no longer required in dorms, dining halls, recreational facilities and at athletic events.