For the third consecutive weekend meet, Maryland track and field had an athlete place first in their event at the Rutgers Open this weekend. 

Junior runner Chelsey Cole finished in first place in the women’s high jump with a top attempt of 12.23 meters. 

Three more Terps had podium finishes. Sarah George came in second place on Friday in the women’s weight throw. George’s 18.13 meter throw in the event set a new personal record and was the 10th-best mark in program history. 

On Saturday, Jeff Kline and Colin Rowe placed second in the men’s shot put championship and men’s 600 meter dash, respectively. Kline’s top throw traveled 17.60 meters and Rowe ran a 1:20.54 time.

[Crofton to Olympic trials: Maryland track and field’s Caleb Dean proved recruiters wrong]

Five more Terps finished in the top-10 of their events throughout the weekend. Kobe Simpson finished fourth in the men’s 400 meter dash and Kamryn Henderson finished eighth in the women’s weight throw championships. 

Kami Joi Hickson raced to a seventh-place finish in the women’s 600 meter dash and her 1:33.90 time set the fifth-best time in the event in program history. 

Henderson also competed in the women’s shot put championships, finishing fifth, and Madison Depry came in sixth in the women’s high jump. 

Coach Andrew Valmon called this weekend a “tune-up meet” with just one meet remaining in the indoor season before the Big Ten championships later this month and the NCAA championships in early March. Valmon used the weekend as an opportunity to let some younger athletes gain valuable experience on the track or field. 

[McDonald, Nkwonta lead strong second day for Maryland track and field at Dr. Sanders Invite]

Stars Caleb Dean and Angel Nkwonta did not participate this weekend. 

Top freshman Katie Alteiri finished 12th and set a personal best with a 4:58.67 time in the women’s mile. Fellow freshmen Ariana Wright (women’s 600 meter), Jada Ellis (women’s 60 meter dash) and Allison Colflesh (women’s mile) also competed. 

Ellis, who ran a 7.90 second time in the women’s 60 meter, made her college debut for the Terps. She, Wright and Colflesh each finished in the top-20 of their respective events. 

“Each week we continue to build momentum,” Valmon said in a release.