University of Maryland men’s basketball assistant coach Bruce Shingler was charged with two counts of procuring or soliciting or offering to procure or solicit prostitution ​​or assignation on Oct. 14, 2021. 

Maryland athletics announced Shingler was suspended for 30 days due to a “violation of his employment agreement,” Wednesday night. 

The university offered no further comment on his suspension or about ongoing personnel matters when reached by The Diamondback on Thursday.

As reported by The Washington Post, the charging documents in relation to Shingler’s arrest include a statement of probable cause written by the arresting officer that Shingler “confirmed that he wanted to engage in sex with me in exchange for a fee of $80.00.”

The statement said the officer alerted the arrest team after Shingler handed the money to the officer.

A trial has been set for Feb. 28 at 8:45 a.m. at the Prince George’s County District Court in Hyattsville.

Shingler joined Maryland’s staff in June 2021, replacing longtime assistant Bino Ranson. He had previously served as an assistant coach at South Carolina for five years.

[Bruce Shingler joins Maryland men’s basketball staff as assistant coach]

Shingler is from the Prince George’s County area, cutting his teeth as a coach at his alma mater Bladensburg High School and at the AAU level, before going to the collegiate level with positions at Morgan State, Kansas State and Towson.

This story will be updated.