Purple Line Transit Partners, in partnership with the state’s transportation department and transit administration, selected Maryland Transit Solutions to continue work on the 16-mile light rail, according to a news release. 

The team is expected to resume full-scale construction next spring. 

MTS encompasses Dragados USA Inc. and OHL USA Inc., both of which are subsidiaries of large multinational construction companies.

“MTS showed they possess all the right qualities — thorough knowledge of the project, across-the-board expertise and a demonstrated spirit of partnership — to get the job done efficiently and with excellence,” Purple Line Transit Partners chairman Jane Garvey said in the release.

[Prince George’s County leaders talk small business preservation, affordable housing]

Construction of the Purple Line has been mired with delays and cost overruns, with contract disputes resulting in a $250 million settlement last year. The dispute with previous contractors resulted in a search for a new design-build contractor.

After three design-build teams were shortlisted to compete for the contract, PLTP received proposals from MTS and a joint venture between Tutor Perini Co. and Lunda Construction Co.

The announcement marks a path forward for the Purple Line project. 

“Today’s news is one more step towards completion and one more step towards Marylanders riding on this critical transit connection,” Maryland Transportation Secretary Greg Slater said in a statement.