Para leer este artículo en español, haga clic aquí.

The University of Maryland launched its Arts for All initiative Monday, which aims to integrate the arts with science and technology.

The program will create new curriculum, including a new undergraduate program in immersive media and design — a partnership between the art and computer science departments

The new Maya Brin Institute for New Performance, funded by a $9 million gift, will prepare students for emerging fields like webcasts and virtual reality performance.

The new initiative will also address pressing challenges including structural racism and climate change, through people-centric solutions shaped by the arts and humanities, according to an email Monday from university President Darryll Pines.

“There is transformational power at the intersection of the arts and the sciences,” Pines wrote.

Pines first announced the initiative at his inauguration in April.

[In his inaugural address, President Darryll Pines shares his vision for UMD]

Pines also highlighted the expanded NextNOW Fest, which is a signature event in the Arts for All initiative and is presented by The Clarice Smith Performing Arts Center. Among other events, it will include a showcase from students in the new immersive media design major.

“At the heart of the Arts for All initiative lies a deep commitment to providing interdisciplinary opportunities to make connections in and out of the classroom that empower all of us to address complex problems in new and meaningful ways,” Pines wrote.

The NextNOW Fest will run at The Clarice from Monday to Sunday.