Billie Andrews took the plate with Nebraska down a run to Maryland softball in the sixth inning. She had two runners on base, and she was ready to take the win.

Andrews drilled a double straight back to Jaeda McFarland in center field. Tristen Edwards and Rylie Unzicker sprinted to beat McFarland’s arm.

Edwards crossed with time to spare. Unzicker dodged Katie Dustin’s tag and snagged a lead the Terps would never reach.

After being swept in their doubleheader yesterday, the Terps came out swinging to get revenge. But the Cornhuskers outhit them, and after three lead changes, took an 8-4 win.

Maryland got on the board quickly. On Kaylin Kinney’s third pitch of the game, McFarland made contact and watched the ball soar through the air as it dropped behind the left-center field fence to send the Terps in front.

That hit would set the tone for the rest of the contest.

[Maryland softball squanders lead, swept by Nebraska in doubleheader]

After McFarland’s opening blast, Maryland’s offense stayed aggressive in the first inning. Kinney walked Taylor Okada and Shelby Younkin. Then, Regan Kerr singled to load the bases. But Ruby Butler grounded out to end the inning before the Terps could bring in another run.

Nebraska quickly answered back in the next inning. Kinney lifted a hit to deep right field. Campbell Kline sprinted to the fence, looking to make a catch, but the ball was far beyond her reach. It left the yard, tying the game at 1-1.

And in the fourth frame, Kinney did it again. With two outs and two strikes against her, Kinney pulled back and crushed her second home run of the afternoon over the left field fence. She and Cam Ybarra, who was on first, took a lap, and the Cornhuskers took a 3-1 lead.

Haley Ellefson dented Nebraska’s lead in the sixth. With Butler and Kerr on base, Ellefson drove a single up the middle. Andrews dove to make a stop, but the ball zipped past her.

[Maryland softball hopes to clean up inconsistencies at Nebraska]

And so did Kerr and Butler. Kerr scored on the play, and Butler reached third. Ellefson made it to second to put both herself and Butler into scoring position.

McFarland took the plate again and knocked a single to Andrews at shortstop. Butler scored on the play, and Ellefson advanced to third. Okada then scored Ellefson with a single through the right side, lifting Maryland to a 4-3 lead.

But Nebraska would secure its victory in the sixth inning. Andrews singled up the middle, scoring Unzicker and Edwards to give her squad the lead for good.

Ally Riley followed with a single tight to the right field line to score Andrews and advance Camyl Armendariz. Then, Abbie Squier drove another single through the right side. Armendariz and Sarah Yocom scored, padding the Cornhuskers’ lead.

Nebraska secured the victory by getting Butler to line out.