Jonathan Spadafora was trialing Penn State’s Joe Lee 4-2 in the second period when he took Lee down to the mat with a double leg takedown. In sudden victory,  tied 5-5, Spadafora went right back to that double leg takedown against Lee — grabbing the clinching 2 points. And he celebrated vigorously after picking up an emotional win — Maryland Wrestling’s only win in the first session of the Big Ten Championships.  

Jonathan Spadafora was unable to replicate that performance in the quarterfinals losing by major decision 15-6 to Ethan Smith of Ohio State. In his round two consolation bout Spadafora gambled twice down two looking for a tying takedown. Instead Northwestern’s David Ferrante countered Spadafora attempts twice, securing two four point near-fall takedowns leading to a  15-6 major decision victory. 

The Terps lost their other nine bouts in the first session, struggling much as they had for the rest of the regular season

[No. 2 Penn State thrashes Maryland wrestling, 44-0]

If the regular season was any indicator, it was always going to be an uphill battle at the Big Ten Championships Saturday. And Maryland’s struggles proved just that, finishing last.

And though the Terps had the chance to prove themselves later in the day in consolation bouts, they didn’t fare much better. 

Outside of Jonathan Spadafora, the Terps were unable to mount any offense or resistance in their bounts. 

Zach Spence, Jackson Cockrell, Philip Spadafora and Garrett Kappes all suffered quick losses. And, the Terps best wrestler on the season, Kyle Cochran, went quietly, too. Cochran was locked in a battle in his round two consolation bout with Minnesota’s Owen Webster. Cochran had an impressive takedown, sweeping Webster onto his stomach to take a 6-5 lead late in the third period. But Webster recovered quickly with his own takedown and an escape from the bottom position to eventually win by decision 9-7. 

In his return to the mat from injury, Micheal North was shutout in his bout against Purdue’s Griffin Parriot, by 4-0 decision. Danny Bertoni, tied late in his bout, was taken down to the mat late in the third period by Ohio State’s Dylan D’ Emilio —and couldn’t recover losing by decision, 3-1. 

Bertoni, receiving a bye to round two of the consolation bracket, allowed two ankle takedowns in the first period against Purdue’s Parker Filius, and couldn’t recover, losing by decision, 6-2. 

[Maryland wrestling coach Alex Clemsen counts on his assistants on and off the mat]

Michael Doetsch picked up an injury in his hour, and never got back on course. He left himself vulnerable to Michigan’s Will Lewan by going for a risky takedown. Lewan took advantage, taking Doetsch down to the mat by the ankles — sending the redshirt junior to a loss, 6-1.

In his matchup in round two of the consolation bracket, Doetsch was no match for Penn State’s Brady Berge offense, losing by major decision, 12-2.  

The usual explosive offense of Jaron Smith was held in check, spending much of the bout down on the mat, giving up over three minutes of riding time, also losing, this time to Northwestern’s Lucas Davidson. 

And in round two, Smith came out of the gates quickly with an early takedown against Purdue’s Thomas Penola — but stalled out after leading to a loss by decision 7-3. 

Smith’s loss left Maryland winless in session two and, barring any invites to the NCAA Division I Wrestling Championship, ended their season.

And though the focus for this Maryland squad has always been on improvement, Saturday’s championships pointed towards a team with a long way to go.