Brian Stewart will take over as Maryland football defensive coordinator, the team announced Tuesday afternoon.

Stewart, who served in the same position for the Terps from 2012 to 2014, spent last season at Baylor, where he was the cornerbacks coach.

In his only season in Waco, Stewart’s unit played a pivotal role in the Bears defense — one that finished second in the Big Ten in passing yards allowed (203) and interceptions (12).

Prior to joining Baylor, Stewart had stints at a number of organizations in the NFL, including serving as defensive coordinator for Dallas from 2007-2008.

“I’m thrilled to be back at Maryland, especially during this exciting time where Coach Locksley is building the program with his vision,” Stewart said in a release. “I’m looking forward to working with the staff he’s assembled and developing a roster that’s filled with talented young players.”

Stewart’s hire is one of a host of moves the Terps made as coach Mike Locksley looks to fill out his staff after a series of departures during the offseason.

Joining Stewart on Locksley’s staff is associate head coach, special team coordinator and outside linebackers coach Ron Zook. Zook spent each of the last two seasons serving as one of Maryland’s senior analysts.

[Maryland football hires Dan Enos as next offensive coordinator]

Zook has over 40 years of coaching experience, spotlighted by stints as Florida and Illinois’ head coach, as well as various spells in coordinator positions across the NFL.

“I’m excited to take on this new role on his staff,” Zook said in the release. “I’ve seen firsthand the work [Locksley’s] put in to build this program the right way and I know the best is ahead for the Terps.”

Also arriving in College Park is Zohn Burden, who will oversee the wide receivers group. Burden coached at Virginia Tech for five seasons, mostly as a running backs coach. Bolstered by Burden’s oversight, the Hokies earned a bowl appearance in each of his five years with the program.

“The wide receiver room is full of talent and I’m looking forward to helping continue their development,” Burden said in the release.

The Terps reshuffled other elements of their staff as well, with second-year coach Brawley Evans heading the inside linebackers group and tight ends coach Mike Miller also taking over the role as passing game coordinator.