So, you’re single on Valentine’s Day, and this year that comes with a side of staying in your house alone all day. Great. Putting aside the fact that Valentine’s Day was probably created to overshadow the pagan holiday of Lupercalia and that if you are in a relationship you should celebrate love with your partner every day, watching everyone prepare for the holiday with their loved ones can be exhausting. 

At this point, you might be scrolling past ads for the “perfect gift for a special someone” or posts dedicated to a significant other and rolling your eyes. Maybe you’re avoiding social media altogether until people calm down on Feb.15. But I’m here to tell you how to join the celebration of this year’s international day of love as a fellow single person. So here are 10 ways to celebrate yourself on Valentine’s Day:

1. Start with some self-care 

You’re the most important person in your life. Even if you’re in a relationship, self-care is always a good idea! This may mean starting your day with a workout or reading a chapter of your favorite book. Spend 10 minutes meditating or reflecting. Clean up that pile of laundry that’s been sitting in the corner of your room or have a karaoke session. Maybe go for a walk? Draw? Play an instrument? Start your day with something that makes you feel good. Then go make yourself breakfast and eat it in bed. 

2. Wear your best outfit 

Put on that outfit that makes you feel most confident and shows the world how badass you are. Who said you should only look and feel your best for someone else? Dress as if you’re going on a date, and get ready to take on the world as the independent boss you are. 

[Bedroom barre: Taking a virtual UMD RecWell fitness class was better than I expected]

3. Put on a playlist that boosts your confidence 

I highly recommend Beyonce’s “Lemonade” album, Billie Eilish, Halsey, M.I.A, Lizzo, Bishop Briggs and, of course, Miley Cyrus. This will put you in the right mindset to go out and love yourself with all the confidence in the world. 

4. Buy yourself flowers 

If I could give one piece of advice to everyone, single or not, it would be: buy yourself flowers. In the literal sense, that means go to your local flower shop or supermarket and buy your favorite flowers. In the metaphorical sense, it means don’t wait for someone to do something for you when you can do it yourself. An invaluable lesson I’ve learned in my years of being single is that you should treat yourself how you would want someone to treat you. There’s no harm in being kind to yourself, and when you see that bouquet throughout the rest of the day, smile. The most important person in your life got you those flowers. 

5. Treat yourself to your favorite meal

The best part about this is you don’t have to order food, drinks or desserts you don’t really like to make sure your partner is happy. Literally order whatever food or drinks you want. I’ll be ordering a milkshake with fries, but if you’ve been wanting to try that new restaurant, go order takeout! If all you want is a drink from Starbucks, get one. If you want to eat an entire pizza, go for it. It’s your day.

[Through its fanfare and flaws, here’s what students think of ‘Cyberpunk 2077’]

6.Write a love letter to yourself 

Buy a sweet card or grab a journal and remind yourself of all the reasons you’re amazing. Appreciate where you are right now in life: You’re independent and free. Maybe you’ve recently accomplished something. Maybe you were kind to a stranger. Whatever it is, take a minute to cherish what you’ve done, what you’re working on and your commitment to self-love today. 

7. Do a personal photoshoot 

Photoshoots hit different, especially if you’re wearing that outfit you chose earlier. Dig up an old DSLR or use your phone and find some great lighting. You can even spice it up with LED lights or props. Use the confidence you gained from dedicating a day to yourself to make sure the photos are exactly how you want them, and take your time to make sure they’re perfect. 

8. Tell your friends you love them

After you focus on yourself, go tell your friends, family or pets you love them. You don’t need romance to love and be loved. If anything, the so-called day of love should be about reminding all of your loved ones how much you appreciate and care for them, not just your partner. 

9. Have a spa night 

End the day with a relaxing candlelit bath or face mask. Maybe grab a bottle of wine if you’re over 21, and just breathe. You’re awesome. 

10. Watch your favorite TV show or movie

Instead of having to discuss what you should watch or compromise for something your partner will like, just get into bed, relax and put on whatever TV show or movie you’re feeling. Now you can go to sleep knowing that at least one person in this world treats you how you deserve to be treated.

Quarantine can feel big and lonely when it’s just you, with Zoom classes, internships, extracurriculars or job applications taking up most of your time. Even when it’s not Valentine’s Day, it’s important to remember every day is a good day to be kind to yourself. Just find that inner confidence, and you’ll be ready to take on the world.