Maryland men’s soccer struggled through the 2019 season. Plagued by injuries and feeling the impact of a rigorous schedule, the Terps crashed out of the NCAA Tournament in the second round.

In a campaign defined by forced rotations and nagging knocks, Maryland found consistency from its full backs, twin brothers Matt and Ben Di Rosa. Both started all 21 games and proved to be an energetic force on either wing, scampering up and down the line to create and help defend — emerging as some of the best defenders in college soccer over their three years in College Park.

And both have caught the eyes of professional setups, and have earned their shot at the next level, being selected in the MLS SuperDraft Thursday.

Matt was the earliest of the two to be drafted, going at No. 25 to Toronto FC. Ben had to wait until the second round to hear his name called, but was selected by New York City FC at No. 44 overall. 

Due to complications brought about by the COVID-19 pandemic, both brothers could opt to return for their senior seasons. The Athletic reported Wednesday that MLS teams will reserve two spots for “opt ins”, a move designed at giving its draftees the opportunity to represent their universities for one last season before going to the pros.

There is no word on when the MLS season will begin — and a later kickoff than its usual late February start is possible, if not likely. But they will have to make a decision before the college season kicks off on Feb. 19.

[Maryland men’s soccer announces season schedule]

While it remains to be seen what the brothers choose, both have left their mark on Ludwig Field, and will look to further that impact at the next level.