The University of Maryland named Brian Burnett its interim chief financial officer and associate vice president for finance Monday.

Burnett previously worked at the University of Minnesota as senior vice president for finance and operations and an adviser to the president. He was also the University of Missouri system’s CFO and vice president for finance.

The search for a permanent CFO has been paused, Pines wrote in an email. He did not give a timetable for when the search will resume. 

The previous CFO was Paul Dworkis, who left the university in November 2019. Since then, vice president for administration and finance Carlo Colella and the university’s “finance team” fulfilled the responsibilities of the CFO, according to a university spokesperson.

Burnett will report to Pines directly and be a part of his cabinet, Pines wrote. He will advise administrators about the university’s financial position.

“The COVID-19 pandemic has made clear the need for a steady and experienced leader as we navigate the financial impact on our institution,” Pines wrote. “Priorities for this interim appointment will focus on advising senior campus leaders as they guide the university through the current economic downturn and toward a strong financial recovery.”

This story has been updated.