An additional 35 Maryland athletes have tested positive for COVID-19, the athletics department announced Wednesday afternoon.

Nineteen of those who tested positive were already in quarantine, according to a release from the department.

The university tested a total of 449 athletes on Sept. 8, resulting in 35 positive results and a 7.8 percent positivity rate. Practices were originally halted on Sept. 3, after 46 athletes tested positive for the virus. 

The total number of positive COVID-19 tests in the department is now 98, out of a total 2,640 tests — a positivity rate of 3.7 percent. This university releases results on a department-wide basis, and it is unknown how many cases are related to each team.

The athletic department also announced that thirteen teams have resumed official practices, including football. Seven teams remain sidelined pending further evaluation: baseball, field hockey, gymnastics, men’s basketball, men’s golf, men’s lacrosse and wrestling.

The Big Ten announced Wednesday morning that a nine-game football season will begin Oct. 23, supported by several COVID-19 testing protocols. The conference will release more details about the resumption of other fall sports at a later time.