Students can now apply for aid from the coronavirus relief bill through August 1, after the University of Maryland received over $10.7 million dollars to support students in emergency financial situations due to the coronavirus, according to a statement by the Office of Student Financial Aid.

The CARES Act, a federal law passed in late March, provides relief from the economic distress wrought by COVID-19. The Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund allocates some of the CARES Act’s funding to colleges and universities to provide grants to students and to cover institutional expenses incurred by the pandemic. 

To receive funding from the grant, students must have been enrolled for the spring semester on or after March 13 and have an emergency need due to the coronavirus. Eligible students must also be a U.S. citizen or an eligible noncitizen and meet federal financial aid requirements.

[UMD receives approval for $21 million in funding from CARES Act to cover pandemic losses]

The grant can be applied to expenses related to the disruption of the campus due to the coronavirus, including food, course materials and technology-related needs, along with health care, childcare and housing expenses, according to the statement.

The emergency financial grant will be awarded to students in two different ways, according to the statement. A portion of the funds will be given to eligible students who have demonstrated financial need from the 2019-2020 FAFSA form and another portion will be granted to eligible students who apply to the grant.

Students may access the application through the Office of Student Financial Aid website. The application opened on May 19, and will close Aug. 1.