Starting Monday, the city of College Park will be reinstating various services with modified schedules that follow social distancing requirements, according to a city email. 

A month ago, Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan issued an executive order, requiring residents to stay home, unless for an essential job or reason. To comply with the order, the city directed all non-essential city staff to remain at home, closed all city buildings and facilities and suspended a variety of services.

[Read more: College Park City Council approves cost, parking agreements with UMD for city hall project]

However, the city announced via email, certain services have been determined essential, or able to be provided without risk to College Park staff members or the public. These include:

• Animal Control
  • Bulk trash and yard waste
  • Compost and mulch sales
  • Electronics and white goods collection
  • Exterior code enforcement
  • Parking enforcement 

Bulk trash drop-off is no longer available at Davis Hall. Bulk trash, yard waste and brush will now be collected based on appointment. Residents should call the public works department  at 240-487-3590 or email publicworks@collegeparkmd.gov to schedule an appointment prior to putting out their materials.

The same scheduling applies for electronic and white goods collection as before. For pick-up, there is a $20 charge per electronic item. Alternatively, a maximum of three electronic items may be dropped off at Davis Hall — near the front door at the entrance — for free. The latter service will be available Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Both services require a valid College Park I.D.

[Read more: College Park City Council discusses proposal for another Wawa on Route 1]

The public works department will also be loading for compost and mulch sales, Tuesday through Friday from 8 – 11:45 a.m. and 1 – 3 p.m. at Davis Hall. Self-service is unavailable until further notice, so customers should call the public works department from the Davis Hall parking lot to pay for compost or mulch by credit card. 

Cash transactions cannot be processed. At this time, only check and credit card transactions can be processed. 

As for parking, the city will continue to provide free parking in the downtown garage, metered city streets and city-controlled lots.