The University of Maryland will hold the first round of summer classes online, according to a campuswide email Wednesday morning.  

The decision followed state and federal guidelines and health experts’ advice, Provost Mary Ann Rankin wrote in the email.

[Read more: UMD to hold online commencement in May, open December ceremony for spring grads]

“It is difficult to guess what measures will continue to be required this summer to minimize exposure to COVID-19 among members of our community,” Rankin wrote. “But even if they are relaxed somewhat, it seems likely that many, such as social distancing and 50-person limits to gatherings will still need to be in place.” 

Rankin wrote that she is expecting that the second summer session will also be held remotely. But if the pandemic dulls, experiential, project-based and lab-based courses in the second session could potentially be held on campus. The university will announce a final decision by June 15. 

[Read more: After move online, UMD students and professors struggle to replicate hands-on lab courses]

While spring semester classes are graded on a pass/fail system, the first summer session will be graded with the standard A-F, Rankin wrote.

The university is still working on a decision about the fall semester, Rankin wrote, which will also be announced by June 15.