The University of Maryland appointed professor Robert Briber as interim dean of the engineering school Thursday, provost Mary Ann Rankin announced in an email to college staff, faculty and students.

Briber, the engineering school’s current associate dean for research, will replace dean Darryll Pines, who is stepping down to take on the role of university president. Current University President Wallace Loh will retire this June after a decade-long tenure.

Pines has been with the school since 1995, excluding a leave of absence to work at the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency from 2003 to 2006. He’s served as dean since 2009, and will start as university president July 1, the University System of Maryland announced less than a month ago.

Pines will leave his position as dean March 31, with Briber taking over the next day, Rankin’s email said.

“Dean Pines has created a legacy of growth and achievement at the Clark School for which we are deeply grateful,” Rankin wrote.

Briber has served as associate dean for research for five years, after 12 years as chair of the materials science and engineering department. In both roles, research expenditures for the college and department respectively increased dramatically, Rankin wrote.

“Dr. Briber brings exceptional administrative experience to his new role as Interim Dean of the Clark School,” Rankin wrote. “Please join me in congratulating Dr. Briber on his new position, thanking him for his willingness to take on this new role, and offering him your support and assistance as he generously assumes these new administrative responsibilities.”