No. 4 Maryland men’s lacrosse defender John Geppert was named Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week, the conference announced Tuesday.

The Washington, D.C., native impressed in the backline in his second career start Saturday, notching four ground balls and forcing three turnovers. Geppert also added a goal — the first of his career — in the fourth quarter, pushing the Terps to a 14-13 comeback victory against Richmond in double-overtime.

Geppert appeared in 10 games as a freshman last campaign, filling in at defensive midfield toward the end of the season. He racked up five ground balls and caused five turnovers in limited minutes. Geppert had a breakout performance against Ohio State on April 20, pestering the Buckeyes’midfield and attack to the tune of three ground balls and two caused turnovers en route to a 10-9 overtime victory.

[Read more: With four goals in two games, Jack Brennan is a freshman gem for Maryland lacrosse]

Prior to coming to College Park, Geppert starred at nearby Landon School, leading the Bears to a 21-0 record and a national championship in 2017 alongside current faceoff specialist Justin Shockey and John Hopkins reigning Big Ten Freshman of the Year Joey Epstein. A four-star recruit, Geppert scored 80 goals and assisted 53 while at Landon.

Geppert and his Maryland teammates return to Capital One Field on Saturday to take on No. 6 Penn.