By Jalen Wade

Dozens of young children swarmed across the grassy fields outside the Youth and Family Service building in north College Park on Saturday for the city’s annual Spring Egg Hunt.

When the horn sounded at the start of the hunt, the kids began checking each clump of grass for an egg with a treat inside.

The event, held each spring, was an opportunity to bring families together in the community and a bonding exercise for both parents and children, according to College Park Mayor Patrick Wojahn.

“It’s a fun activity for the kids to come out and celebrate the spring,” Wojahn said.

College Park resident Christina Toy said she had never attended a hunt of that size and was excited to introduce her two children to the spectacle.

“My son is very social, and he’ll have something to do with other kids his age,” Toy said of her 21-month-old child,  Joseph. “People who are available with kids in the same range can come together and build a future based on common goals and interest.”

[Read more: UMD’s College Park Scholars host technology workshop for city’s senior residents]

Inside the eggs, children found small marble-sized bouncy balls, which they handed to their parents to carry in colorful pink and yellow baskets.

Aside from the hunt, there were a variety of other activities to keep the children busy, including face painting, arts and crafts, a strength bell, tic-tac-toe and, most prominently, a bounce house in the parking lot.

“I came for the celebration, the food, the games, the egg hunt,” said Greenbelt resident Nicole Bearor, who brought her two toddlers.

The event wasn’t exclusively for College Park residents. Eric McKenzie brought his daughter from their home in nearby Greenbelt.

“My daughter was desperate to get to an Easter egg hunt, and we weren’t going to be here for the Greenbelt one,” McKenzie said. “It’s a great chance to get all the kids together. There’s games and my daughter really likes to do the craft activities. It’s just a great time to go out and have some fun.”

Berwyn Heights resident Drew Carlisle, a father of two, said he was happy to see various families coming out to enjoy the spring weather.

“Everyone’s here enjoying the same space,” Carlisle said. “Everyone’s here enjoying the same beautiful day. It’s just a great way to bring everyone together.”