Maryland basketball guard Kevin Huerter will hire an agent and remain in the NBA draft pool, ending his college career after two seasons, he announced on social media Wednesday.

Huerter had entered the draft process without an agent, giving him the option of withdrawing his name and maintaining college eligibility anytime before midnight on Wednesday.

But that outcome became less likely after Huerter’s draft combine performance vaulted him up draft boards and into the first round of many media outlet’s mock drafts.

“[Huerter] has worked extremely hard to put himself in this position to be drafted by a NBA franchise,” coach Mark Turgeon said in a press release. “Kevin took his time and gathered the necessary feedback provided by NBA teams to make the best decision. We’re excited for Kevin as he pursues this next step in his career.”

The Clifton Park, New York, native worked out for the Brooklyn Nets, Atlanta Hawks and Los Angeles Lakers before cancelling his final workout with the Utah Jazz to finalize his decision, according to Tony Jones of the Salt Lake Tribune. Huerter is expected to be selected as high as the late first round in June.

Huerter had one of the best three-point shooting seasons in Maryland history as a sophomore, hitting 41.7 percent of his long-range attempts and averaging 14.8 points a game. He started all 65 games he played in during his two years at Maryland, averaging 12.0 points, 5.0 rebounds and 3.0 assists in his career.

The 6-foot-7, 194-pound shooting guard’s size and shooting ability make him a coveted prospect. He struggled with turnovers this season, committing at least one in every game, but at 19, Huerter still has time to develop.

Without Huerter, Maryland loses its best three-point shooting threat and one of its best distributors.

His departure is a significant blow to coach Mark Turgeon’s squad, which likely would’ve been seen as a top-tier Big Ten team with the return of Huerter and forward Bruno Fernando, who had also entered the draft without an agent, but Tuesday announced he will stay in College Park another season.

Though the Terps still have guards Anthony Cowan and Darryl Morsell on the roster and a pair of four-star guards (Eric Ayala and Aaron Wiggins) entering the fray, none of them are likely to match Huerter’s this year, complicating Turgeon’s attempt at a bounceback season.