Gov. Larry Hogan joined a list of prominent Republicans in denouncing Alabama U.S. Senate candidate Judge Roy Moore after four women accused Moore of sexual misconduct.

Hogan said Moore, 70, is “unfit for office” and called for his withdrawal from the Dec. 12 Senate special election.

“Roy Moore’s defenders should ask themselves if they would be so quick to excuse him if the victim was their daughter or if the offender was a Democrat,” Hogan wrote in a tweet. “He is unfit for office and should step aside. Americans are better than this.”

[Read more: SGA will discuss adding sexual misconduct policy clause in UMD student group constitutions]

Maryland Democrats on Friday urged U.S. Rep. Andy Harris (R-Md.), this state’s sole Republican congressman, to withdraw his endorsement of Moore, The Baltimore Sun reported. Harris’ campaign released a one-sentence statement, referring to one of the four women — Leigh Corfman, who told The Washington Post that Moore initiated sexual contact with her when she was 14 years old and he was a 32-year-old attorney in Alabama.

“If the allegations regarding Leigh Corfman are accurate, Judge Moore should withdraw from the race,” the statement read.

Democratic Maryland gubernatorial candidates, such as former NAACP President Ben Jealous and Prince George’s County Executive Rushern Baker, have also criticized Moore, The Sun reported.

Jealous joined other Democrats in calling out Hogan for a response they thought was not harsh enough, The Sun reported.

“Roy Moore was already unfit for the Senate long before these heinous allegations surfaced, and we never heard a word from Larry Hogan,” Jealous said in a statement, adding that Hogan’s criticism “has more to do with politics than principle.”

In addition to Corfman, three other women told The Post that Moore made advances toward them when he was an Etowah County, Alabama assistant district attorney in his 30s and they were between the ages of 16 and 18. The three women told The Post he asked them out on dates but did not force any of them into sexual contact.

[Read more: Betsy DeVos rescinds Obama-era guidelines for investigating campus sexual assault]

Moore has denied any allegations of sexual misconduct, calling them “completely false” and “a desperate political attack by the National Democrat Party and The Washington Post on this campaign” in a written statement, The Post reported. Moore did not deny having dated the women when he was in his 30s and they were in their late teens, claiming he did not remember “anything like that.”

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) and Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas), along with the White House, have spoken out against Moore, saying he should drop out of the race if the allegations are true.

“Like most Americans, the president does not believe we can allow a mere allegation, in this case one from many years ago, to destroy a person’s life,” White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said in a statement. “However, the president also believes that if these allegations are true, Judge Moore will do the right thing and step aside.”