Before facing Minnesota on Wednesday night, the Maryland men’s basketball team was concerned — rightfully so — about how it would replace center Michal Cekovsky.

The junior suffered a season-ending fractured left ankle late in Sunday’s loss at Wisconsin, depriving the Terps of their best post offense option with the postseason looming.

The frontcourt, however, buckled down against Minnesota to score a combined 38 points. Forward Ivan Bender paced the team with a career-high 15, including 12 in the first half, flashing control and confidence he attributed to playing for his injured best friend.

That performance — that unexpected burst — is what made the 89-75 debacle to the Golden Gophers in Xfinity Center all the more puzzling.

Maryland’s starting guards — Melo Trimble, Anthony Cowan and Kevin Huerter — converted a combined 10 of 35 shots. The defense fizzled in the second half as Minnesota avenged the Terps’ 85-78 win in Minneapolis last month.

Trimble, who powered the team with a combined 59 points in the previous two games, walked off the court, biting his jersey before pulling it over his eyes.

Coach Mark Turgeon declared in his postgame press conference his team, losers in four of the last six, would rebound for Saturday’s tilt against Iowa.

He should hope, too, that next time the Terps receive such a boost from the depleted frontcourt, they don’t waste it.

Guard Melo Trimble: C-

The junior’s heroics must’ve missed the flight home from Madison, Wisconsin, because Trimble didn’t display the vigor that made him Big Ten Player of the Week. He entered halftime 1-for-7 from the field for two points, finishing with 11. His six assists contributed to the Terps’ improved ball movement, but his defensive shortcomings against Minnesota guard Akeem Springs (16 points) didn’t help the Terps stay competitive late in the second half.

Guard Anthony Cowan: C-

Like his veteran counterpart, Cowan also had a stagnant opening period, missing his three shots. He found a rhythm out of the break, notching five points and two assists in the first five minutes. Still, he took a team-high 13 shots, many of which Minnesota rejected through the lane or at the rim, as he shot 4-for-13.

Guard Kevin Huerter: C

Huerter was a catalyst for Maryland’s 12 assists on 16 buckets in the first half. Despite not recording a point, he showed mature vision with four dishes to help Maryland open a one-point halftime lead. He managed another feed and five points on a lowly 2-for-8 shooting performance in the final period.

Forward Damonte Dodd: B

Turgeon preached the importance of Dodd combating foul trouble and playing with awareness entering Wednesday’s contest. The senior did, playing without a foul in the first half while converting two of his three shots. Dodd also ignited the crowd six minutes into the second period with a powerful and-one to reach his seven points, but the total could have been higher if he shot better than 1-for-4 at the free throw line.

Forward Ivan Bender: A-

Bender missed his first two attempts, eliciting flashbacks to his gaffes and caution around the rim in recent games. But then the sophomore hit his stride. He scored eight of Maryland’s last 10 points in the first half to reach a career-high mark before adding three in the final 20 minutes. That power and finish in the offensive paint is what the Terps need from Bender to alleviate Cekovsky’s void.