Entering the Maryland men’s basketball team’s game against Saint Peter’s on Saturday, guard Melo Trimble had been the catalyst in almost all of the Terps’ nine victories. The only outing Trimble didn’t score in double figures was when he played 15 minutes in Maryland’s 48-point win over St. Mary’s (Md.) on Nov. 17.

Yet Trimble didn’t attempt a shot in the first half Saturday and finished the contest with a season-low five points. With Trimble allowing his teammates to take over, the Terps jumped out to a 40-18 halftime lead, but his unselfishness also helped the Peacocks cut Maryland’s advantage to 10 late in the contest.

Trimble often leads Maryland’s late runs, and coach Mark Turgeon would’ve liked the junior to do the same Saturday.

“It would’ve been nice,” Turgeon said. “We never found a rhythm in the second half. He was more aggressive in the second half. He really trusts his teammates. He was making the right decisions.”

Trimble, who leads the Terps with 17.2 points per game, averages team highs of 11.5 field goal attempts and 31.8 minutes per game. The Upper Marlboro native is the lone returning starter from last season, and Turgeon hoped to rest his veteran in the nonconference slate.

The sixth-year coach, however, hasn’t had that luxury in Maryland’s close contests. Entering Saturday, Trimble has played less than 30 minutes twice against mid-majors. The 6-foot-3, 185-pound junior has scored the game-winning points in each of the Terps’ three one-point victories. When the team is struggling, Trimble slows the game down and takes over by attacking the basket.

To avoid injuries like the nagging back and hamstring issues that hindered Trimble late last season, Turgeon has pulled the guard out of practices at times.

“I’d like to not play Melo 34 minutes a game the next four games,” Turgeon said Dec. 6. “But if it takes 34 or 35 minutes, he’s going to play 34, 35 minutes. We’ll rest him at other times.”

It seemed Trimble, who recorded three assists in the first half, would get a breather Saturday. Guard Kevin Huerter and forward Justin Jackson combined for 22 points at the break, and Maryland was in control.

Trimble attempted his first shot less than a minute into the second half, a 3-pointer from the left wing. He finished shooting 2-for-4, and he didn’t attempt a free throw despite averaging 6.5 attempts from the charity stripe this season. But Maryland struggled in the second frame, shooting 28 percent.

“He was just going with the flow of the game,” guard Anthony Cowan said. “That’s what a lot of us have to do. We just can’t force a lot of shots.”

When he exited with three minutes and 41 seconds remaining, Trimble’s outing appeared finished. But with the Terps’ reserves playing, Saint Peter’s cut Maryland’s lead to 10, prompting Turgeon to reinsert Trimble with about a minute to play.

Though Trimble recorded his second-fewest minutes this season (26), he might’ve watched the ending from the bench had he put a larger cushion on the Terps’ lead.

“He’s our leading scorer and obviously our leader. He’s willing to get other guys involved if the shots aren’t there for him,” Huerter said. “It shows how unselfish he is. That says something about Melo.”