When fans discuss the Maryland men’s basketball team’s starting lineup, names such as Melo Trimble and Damonte Dodd come to mind. The players have started games for the Terps before, and coach Mark Turgeon has highlighted them for stepping into leadership roles.

Ivan Bender, a 6-foot-9 sophomore from Bosnia-Herzegovina, is not one of the focal players. He made 10 appearances last year, averaging 4.3 minutes per game.

But as Turgeon stood at the podium in Heritage Hall at Maryland’s Media Day Oct. 25, Bender was a part of that conversation.

“If we would have started a game Saturday, he might have been the starter,” Turgeon said. “He’s improved that much.”

Turgeon didn’t reveal whether Bender will assume that role when Maryland hosts American in its season opener Nov. 11, but he added the team’s “most improved player” will be in the rotation as the Terps search for frontcourt production.

“His jump shot, his scoring, his passing,” Dodd said about Bender’s improvements at Big Ten Media Day Oct. 13. “He’s always been a good passer, but he’s really starting to trust his knee now, so he’s really … improved a drastic measure.”

Bender arrived at Maryland in January 2015 after playing for KK Split in the Junior Euroleague. He didn’t see the court during his first season with the Terps as he continued his rehab on a torn ACL. While Bender was healthy last year, making his debut in the Terps’ win over St. Francis (PA) on Dec. 4, he spent more time acclimating to the American lifestyle than making on-court contributions.

Former big men Diamond Stone and Robert Carter Jr. manned the frontcourt last season as the Terps’ second- and third-leading scorers, respectively, combining to score 24.8 points per game. In practice, they helped Bender adjust to the college game.

“I really gained some confidence from last year playing against Diamond, [forward Michal Cekovsky], Damonte and Rob, and it really helped me this season,” Bender said. “I feel more comfortable on the court.”

The pair has since moved on — Stone is now with the Los Angeles Clippers and Carter plays for Enel Basket Brindisi in Italy — leaving minutes for players such as Dodd, Cekovsky and Bender.

So, to enhance his game, Bender spent part of the summer working with a professional within his own family.

After taking classes, playing pickup games and working with strength and conditioning coach Kyle Tarp in June and July, Bender spent the month of August at home training with his younger brother, Dragan Bender, the Phoenix Suns’ fourth overall pick in the 2016 NBA draft.

Bender worked on his defense, because in a conference as strong as the Big Ten, “we have to be able to guard every night,” he said. He did drills to improve his ball handling, shooting, passing and catching. He’s also projected to be the Terps’ top ball-screen and post defender, according to the program’s preseason notebook.

“He can really pass,” Turgeon said after Maryland’s open practice Oct. 22. “He’s very smart defensively, too.”

Bender will have the chance to showcase his skills this season as he plays a larger role for the Terps, who Turgeon said will operate by committee in the low post. Dodd, Bender and Cekovsky should all get minutes at the center position, while Duquesne graduate transfer L.G. Gill and freshman Justin Jackson will play at the four spot.

It’s a welcomed change for Bender after rarely seeing the floor since arriving in College Park.

“He’s been the biggest surprise of the season,” Turgeon said.