During his sophomore year of high school, Maryland football defensive end commit Josh Kaindoh toured IMG Academy. Though he was assigned a roommate during the visit, he asked to room with Maryland defensive tackle commit Cam Spence instead.

Ever since, the two have been best friends.

“It’s all love,” Kaindoh said. “That’s my brother.”

Next season, the two will arrive in College Park. Kaindoh is the second-best strong-side defensive end in the 2017 class, while Spence is the No. 18 defensive tackle, according to 247sports. Spence committed to the program on April 8. A few weeks later, Kaindoh did the same.

“I’m excited to be reunited,” Kaindoh said. “We’re on the same mission to bring this program up.”

The duo savored playing together on the Ascenders defensive line, even though Spence transferred to St. John’s College High School in Washington after their junior season. They cherished the camaraderie.

IMG Academy coach Kevin Wright believes the Terps are getting a pair of impact athletes.

“It’s a good tandem for UMD. Big guys up front make the difference,” Wright said. “They can help rush the passer without a blitz. Chemistry is really important, and they have that.”

The duo first met in ninth grade when they attended recruiting camps and started taking campus visits. While they weren’t friends then, their familiarity sparked a relationship at IMG.

The pair has so much in common and their friendship is a “natural bond,” Wright said. They shared a role on the defensive line and hail from the Washington region.

“We’re teammates — we have that bond and grew together,” Kaindoh said. “Playing the same position drew us together, and we both came down from the DMV.”

Part of what Kaindoh loves about Spence is his laid-back nature. Oftentimes, the two would relax in one of their dorm rooms, playing video games — NCAA Football 14 was a favorite — and talking. They also watched movies.

“They are really, really close,” Kaindoh’s mother, Diane, said. “They were always together.”

Despite the current long-distance friendship, the Kaindoh and Spence families are still connected. For the past three years, Spence has sent Diane Kaindoh a Mother’s Day gift.

“They both come from very strong family backgrounds with both parents and their grandparents,” Spence’s dad, Mark, said. “There’s love in the home for both guys.”

When Kaindoh visited College Park during homecoming weekend earlier this month, he desperately wanted to go to Spence’s game in Hyattsville on Sept. 30, Diane Kaindoh said, so he went to St. John’s game against DeMatha Catholic High School with coach DJ Durkin and two assistants.

When Spence made a tackle in the second half, Kaindoh cheered for him and pointed to his friend. Spence heard the familiar yell, looked up and pointed back at him.

“It’s a real special bond,” Spence said. “It’s a family bond, and it’s a bond that won’t break for the rest of my life. Josh might end up being my life friend.”