Despite brain surgeries, countless MRIs and chemotherapy treatments, Zachary Lederer always maintained that he was “living the dream.” Even when he learned two years ago he would have to battle brain cancer a second time, he refused to let the disease sideline him. 

His strongman pose shortly after a second intensive brain surgery in 2012 instantly went viral, all the while uniting and inspiring a community. So when news spread Tuesday night that Lederer had succumbed to cancer, more than 200 students assembled outside Comcast Center, candles in hand, to pay their respects. Lederer’s initials, “ZL,” were spelled out in candles in front of the Testudo outside Comcast.  

They wanted to honor the young man who taught them life was worth fighting for, that no day should go unappreciated.

Among those present were members of the Terrapins men’s and women’s basketball teams, who said they grew close to Lederer as he continually pushed them to demand more of one another and themselves. 

It was wholly quiet and solemn for 15 minutes except for stifled tears. There was little to say after reconciling the end of a battle many felt close to, even if they had never actually met the man behind “Zaching.”

But then Tish Carmona, a freshman communication major who is a family friend of the Lederers who organized the candlelight vigil, motioned the crowd to gather closer. Men’s basketball guard Dez Wells, who lost a cousin to cancer, then began a cascade of spoken tributes to the beloved student manager. 

“Hard times don’t seem so hard anymore knowing what Zach was going through,” Wells said. “Life is bigger than basketball or any sport you’re playing.” 

Nathan Cloeter, a senior materials engineering major, said Lederer’s fight was familiar to many. 

“Zach was one of us. Everyone here knows someone who battled cancer, and most of them lost,” Cloeter said. “He just kept on fighting and believed he could beat it. Tonight hurts.” 

Carmona then called for a moment of silence and a prayer.

“Dear Lord, a wonderful angel is entering your gate,” Carmona said. “Let him be a leader to us all, to remind us of the struggle that he faced.” 

Those who spoke ranged from students who hadn’t met him to high school friends. While each story was different in its delivery, the central message was the same: Lederer was an inspiration and reminder to live life to the fullest, a reminder that no struggle is too great to overcome. 

“Zach was an outstanding young man who was an inspiration to us all,” men’s basketball coach Mark Turgeon said in a statement. “He touched the lives of so many people in our community. He is and always will be a part of our Maryland basketball family.” 

At the end of the 40-minute vigil, senior Kevin Owens, who worked as a manger with Lederer, reminded the crowd the student manager loved nothing more than team spirit. He brought the crowd in a tight huddle before giving directions. 

On the count of three, the crowd would together shout Lederer’s signature phrase. 

Owens counted out loud: “One. Two. Three.” 

In one last act of remembrance, the students yelled synchronously.

“Livin’ the dream!”

[ READ MORE: Students hold candlelight vigil for Zach Lederer ]