During Terrapins football pregame warm-ups Saturday, Mike Minter looked into the stands and marveled at how far he’d come.

That’s where I started, Minter thought, as he gazed into the student section at Byrd Stadium.

Two years ago, the offensive lineman watched the first game of his college career from the bleachers. But when the Terps took the field for their season opener this past Saturday, the redshirt sophomore started over former five-star recruit Damian Prince.

That was just one highlight in a whirlwind week for Minter.

Six days prior, Minter, along with four of his teammates, learned he had earned a scholarship. When he got a chance to call his parents and break the news, he was standing on the 50-yard line at Byrd Stadium, a surreal moment in a week full of unforgettable memories.

So when the walk-on defensive lineman turned left guard ran out of the tunnel Saturday as a starter, he made sure to savor it.

“It was an unbelievable feeling,” Minter said. “I can’t describe it.”

TRANSITIONING FROM DEFENSE

Minter didn’t start playing offensive line for the Terps until last season, but he played both sides of the ball in high school. The 6-foot-3, 305-pound sophomore conceded he’s probably better suited for the offensive line, but his passion was defense, so that’s what he played as a senior at Severna Park.

While Minter had offers from Ivy League schools and FCS teams, his mind was set. He wanted to be a Terp. His dad and two brothers attended this university, and he had grown up watching Terps football, basketball and lacrosse.

“My dream was to become a reality by coming here,” Minter said.

A knee injury complicated Minter’s college status, though. He had surgery in May 2013 and didn’t practice with the team during the regular season. He wasn’t even allowed on the sidelines for the 2013 season opener against Florida International, per NCAA rules.

He was healthy enough to return to practice as a defensive lineman ahead of the bowl game, but he soon switched to his natural position, the offensive line.

“I only had a week of D-line under my belt,” Minter said. “It wasn’t as awkward of a transition for me going from D-line to O-line because I honestly hadn’t really played football in two years.”

MOVING UP THE DEPTH CHART

Minter played in last year’s season opener, a 52-7 win over James Madison. That was the only time he saw the field.

Behind the scenes, though, Minter progressed. After starting the year on the scout team, he was later moved onto the Terps’ travel squad as he climbed the depth chart.

“He was one of the few young guys last year that kind of got it,” offensive coordinator Mike Locksley said. “Any time you got a smart player and couple that with toughness, they’ll find a way on the field for a [coach] Randy Edsall-type team.”

The Terps lost two starters on the line in the offseason, but Prince was expected to step in at right tackle this season. Yet the redshirt freshman, who began fall camp as the starter, was “nicked up” and sat out for a stretch before returning to a backup role.

Instead of sliding Prince back into the starting role, Edsall moved Ryan Doyle to right tackle and slotted Minter in at left guard.

“If you see a guy working his butt off, you are going to want to go out there and play with him,” quarterback Perry Hills said. “You know that he’s going to be giving his 100 percent effort and not take plays off at any time.”

Teammates and coaches alike praise Minter’s work ethic and say it played a huge role in his rise. And even though Minter wasn’t a highly touted recruit, he’s not short on confidence.

When a play is called for running back Wes Brown, Minter tells Brown to “run behind me.”

“He’s always stood out to me,” Brown said.

WILD WEEK

On Saturday, Minter was part of an offensive line that cleared holes for the running backs as the Terps rushed for 341 yards in the 50-21 win.

It was Minter’s first start on the offensive line in four years, dating back to his junior year of high school. But he said he felt comfortable playing alongside left tackle Michael Dunn (26 career starts) and senior center Evan Mulrooney (five career starts).

While playing in front of nearly 40,000 at Byrd Stadium was exciting, Minter said, the best moment of his life had already occurred six days earlier.

At Glazer Auditorium at Gossett Football Team House, Edsall asked Minter and four others to stand up. Minter thought he might be getting a scholarship, but he wasn’t sure.

“This isn’t happening right now,” Minter recalls thinking. “There’s no way.”

The Terps had to go into meetings right after the announcement, but Minter made sure to call his parents at the first available opportunity. Standing on the field and looking around Byrd Stadium, he broke the news. On the other line, his mother started crying.

“It was the best feeling ever,” Minter said.

Minter’s week leading up to the contest against Bowling Green this Saturday probably won’t be as breathtaking, and there’s no guarantee he’ll keep his starting job as the season progresses. Along with Prince, offensive lineman Derwin Gray, a former four-star recruit, returned to practice this week.

But for now, Minter, who watched games from the student section two years ago, remains the starting left guard.

“He’s grown up a lot,” Hills said. “He really has.”

Senior staff writer Ryan Baillargeon contributed to this report