With her No. 25 hanging in the Comcast Center rafters, Alyssa Thomas knows her legacy will remain a part of the Terrapins women’s basketball team’s history.

The star forward’s athleticism and her 6-foot-2 frame helped her become one of the program’s best players, and now, Thomas will continue her career in the WNBA.

The New York Liberty selected Thomas with the fourth overall pick in the WNBA draft last night at Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville, Conn., before trading her to the Connecticut Sun.

“Just really excited for the opportunity,” Thomas said last night. “Not many people get this opportunity.”

Though Thomas held a Liberty jersey while posing for photos after hearing her name called at the draft, she’ll be donning a Sun uniform when she begins her professional career. Connecticut traded center Tina Charles  — the 2012 MVP — and a 2015 third-round draft pick for Thomas, center Kelsey Bone and New York’s first-round pick next year.

“Taking a picture with the New York jersey, that threw me off a little bit,” Thomas said. “But I knew what was going on. I knew about the trade, so I’m just really excited to be a Connecticut Sun now.”

Thomas joins a struggling Sun team that finished a league-worst 10-24 last season and held the No. 1 overall pick in the draft. The team picked former Stanford forward Chiney Ogwumike with that selection before acquiring Thomas.

Ogwumike, who helped Stanford to the Final Four, and Thomas led their respective teams in scoring and rebounding this season, and they will look to strengthen the Sun’s frontcourt to make up for the loss of Charles, its leading rebounder. The Sun had a minus-3.7 rebounding margin last season.

“We’re both big rebounders, high-energy players that like to come in and just play hard for our team,” Thomas said. “I think we’re just going to come in with that mindset and just bring everything that we got.”

The three-time All-American had a memorable finish to her college career by leading the Terps to their first Final Four appearance since 2006 and reached several milestones.

Thomas broke Juan Dixon’s career scoring record at this university and became the Terps’ all-time leading rebounder. Plus, she became the second player ever to win three ACC Player of the Year awards. This season, Thomas averaged 19 points and 10.9 rebounds and had four triple-doubles.

A week ago, Thomas was two wins from a national championship with the Terps. Though she just reached the end of an illustrious college career, she has to quickly transition to a WNBA career a few hundred miles from her hometown in Harrisburg, Pa.

And she will look to bring the same dominance she had with the Terps to the professional level.

“I’ve competed every day for Maryland,” Thomas said. “I’ve never taken any days off or slacked off. I know this is the pros, and I just got to amp it up another level.”

TERPS NOTE: Former Terps forward Tianna Hawkins, who Seattle selected sixth overall in last year’s draft, was traded to Washington in a deal that sent former Terps center Crystal Langhorne, a starter on the 2006 national championship team, to the Storm.