Byrd Stadium sold 57 pounds of crab dip-topped pretzels in one quarter of the first football game this season. At the second game Saturday, there was a 30-minute wait to order a specialty pretzel because concession stands couldn’t get them out fast enough.

In an effort to greet new Big Ten fans from the Midwest with cuisine from this state, Maryland Concessions have introduced the “Chessie,” a 24-ounce pretzel baked with back-fin crab dip and cheese that can serve up to four guests, according to an athletic department Aug. 21 news release.

“We saw this giant pretzel and we know that other people are using them for signature stadium snacks,” said Bart Hipple, Dining Services spokesman. “We decided we would make this a Maryland signature snack by topping it with crab dip.”

The roughly 1.5-pound pretzel, sold exclusively at stand three at Byrd Stadium, has recently garnered attention from outlets such as The Washington Post and food sites foodbeast.com and foodspin.deadspin.com.

While some posts about the snack deem the snack’s $17.50 price tag too high for a glorified pretzel, fans don’t seem to mind footing the bill for this stadium snack.

“It’s huge,” said sophomore psychology major Jessica Altschuler, who split the Chessie with two friends Saturday. “We were a little worried about how much it cost, but I think based on its size, it’s worth it.”

Sophomore elementary education major Victoria Graw said the Chessie was “outstanding,” and was impressed by the quality of the cheese, crab and pretzel.

“Definitely worth the wait, and the price is actually reasonable if you are going to split it with friends,” Graw said.

While sophomore kinesiology major Abby Young said the pretzel is worth buying for stadium food, she added that it’s “probably pretty unhealthy.”

Hipple said the pretzel’s nutrition was not too much of a concern because while establishments like the dining halls need to be conscious of what they provide for student’s daily diets, stadium food is just snack food.

But the concession stands are not completely disregarding healthy options. The stadium made some other changes this semester, including adding new stand Curley’s Fresh, which provides healthier alternatives to snacks like the Chessie. Its offerings will include fresh fruit cups, hummus and chicken Caesar wraps.

“In the stadium, we do always try and sell healthful food,” Hipple said.

Concessions worker Celia Reilly said fans have come up to Curley’s Fresh to inquire about the menu, only to choose Chick-fil-A instead. But more students were interested in it than she’d expected.

And the Terp Town food truck, sponsored by the Maryland Burger and Grilling Company, changed locations and added a beer garden this semester. While the fast-food truck used to greet fans as they entered the stadium, visitors will find it farther in the stadium amid the bustling crowd.

“We like this location much better,” Hipple said. “It seems to have more people walking by it. There’s more activity there.”

Despite the new additions and changes, loyal fans of typical concessions food should not be concerned — popular Byrd Stadium options, such as Rita’s Italian Ice and Boardwalk Fries, will continue to be sold in the stands this semester.

Staff writer Sarah Dean contributed to this report.