Juan Dixon, a former two-time All-American guard with the Maryland basketball team, is no longer a part of the Terps coaching staff, according to reports.

After leading the Terps to their lone national title in 2002, Dixon returned to this university in 2013 and has served as a special assistant to coach Mark Turgeon for the past three seasons. He’s looking to join another Division I school as a full-time assistant coach, according to reports.

“In my discussions with Juan, he has always expressed his desire to become a coach at the Division I or professional level,” Turgeon said in a statement. “While there is not an opening on the staff currently, I know Juan will be a highly successful coach once given the opportunity. Juan is one of the most accomplished players in Maryland history and I appreciate his contributions as a special assistant with our basketball program the past three seasons.”

Only three assistant coaches and the head coach can help recruit and develop players, according to NCAA rules, and Dustin Clark, Bino Ranson and Cliff Warren serve those roles for the Terps.

In 2013, Turgeon created the special assistant position specifically for Dixon, the program’s all-time leading scorer, to help him transition from player to coach.

But Dixon’s responsibilities were limited to “scouting and film breakdown, academic support and mentorship and additional administrative duties,” according to his biography on the athletic department website.

A standout player at Calvert Hall in Baltimore, Dixon played four years at Maryland before the Washington Wizards drafted him with the 17th pick of the 2002 draft. He played seven seasons in the NBA for four different teams.

Senior staff writer Kyle Stackpole contributed to this report.