University of Maryland Police responded to reports of vandalism, assault and telephone/email misuse, among other incidents this past week, according to police reports.

Telephone/Email Misuse

On May 5 at 7:33 p.m., University Police met with a female student who told an officer that her friend was receiving text messages from someone pretending to be the female student, said police spokeswoman Sgt. Rosanne Hoaas. Many of the messages did not make sense, which led the female student’s friend to realize that it was not actually her friend sending the messages. The female student was advised to contact University Police if her friend continues to receive strange text messages, Hoaas said. This case remains active.

Assault

University Police were on the 4400 block of Knox Road on Friday at 2:05 a.m. when they saw an adult male holding a pocket knife with an extended blade moving toward two individuals who were not paying attention, Hoaas said. Officers drew their weapons and ordered the suspect to drop his knife, at which point he turned around and began to approach the officers, Hoaas said. After another warning, the suspect dropped the weapon, Hoaas said. The man, Omed Husseinkhel, 38, of Alexandria, Virginia, was arrested and charged with two counts of first-degree assault and two counts of reckless endangerment, in addition to four other charges, Hoaas said.

Vandalism

University Police responded to Somerset Hall on Monday at 12:25 a.m. for a report that a trash can had been thrown from the third floor bathroom window, Hoaas said, which also damaged the window screen. In another bathroom on the same floor, a paper towel dispenser was ripped off the wall, Hoaas said. The window screen was damaged in that bathroom as well. Police will review area cameras for more information, Hoaas said, and the paper towel dispenser was dusted for fingerprints. This case remains active.

Weapons Violation

On Friday at 11:35 p.m., the University Police’s Security Operations Center reported that they believed someone stole a bicycle, Hoaas said. Three individuals were stopped at 11:39 p.m. on Paint Branch Parkway at the Metro Parking garage, Hoaas said. The three suspects were searched, and one was found in possession of brass knuckles. The suspect with brass knuckles was identified as Anthony Champion Smith, 22, of Hyattsville, Hoaas said. He was arrested and charged with one count of possession of a concealed deadly weapon. This case is now closed.