If a chance to make the NCAA Tournament Round of 32 weren’t enough motivation for the Terrapins men’s basketball team, guard Varun Ram gave it an extra incentive before the South Dakota State game on Friday at Spokane Veterans Memorial Arena.

Ram’s aunt and uncle told him they would make the 14-hour drive from their home in California to Spokane, Washington, if the Terps topped the Jackrabbits. Ram relayed the message to his teammates.

So the morning after the No. 5-seed Terps’ 79-74 win, his aunt, uncle and cousin piled into their car and journeyed to Spokane. And they were in the crowd to watch the Terps defeat Hawaii and earn a Sweet Sixteen berth for the first time since 2003.

“It’s nice to see them because I don’t get to see them that often,” Ram said. “It’s just great to be able to have them experience a Terp win.”

The 5-foot-9 guard had a chance to catch up with them the morning before the Terps’ game against Hawaii. They walked from the hotel to the arena and back, stopping by Spokane Falls to take in the scenery.

During the stroll, Ram was often recognized by Terps fans who had traveled out to Spokane. They shouted “Go Terps!” as he enjoyed the company of his extended family.

“Just to have that support all the way out here in Spokane means the world,” Ram said.