The clock was trickling down in a thrilling Big Ten road game with a 3-pointer flying off the fingertips of a star guard. The Terrapins men’s basketball team had been here before.

In fact, it had been just three days since guard Melo Trimble hushed the Wisconsin fans with a game-winning long ball from the top of the key. But Tuesday night at Michigan was different.

Trimble wasn’t himself. He hardly played in the first half after falling into foul trouble and was virtually non-existent when on the court in the second half. So with the Terps running out of time and facing a 70-67 deficit, guard Rasheed Sulaimon possessed the ball behind the arc, dribbling fervently to create some space.

Sulaimon elevated, held his stroke and watched. The ball bounced off the rim. Wolverines guard Duncan Robinson, who blitzed the Terps for 17 points, gathered the rebound as Sulaimon buried his head in his hands. The buzzer sounded. For the first time in 43 days, the Terps had lost.

That the Terps had a chance late is a testament to their depth. Neither Trimble nor Sulaimon turned in double-digit points or more than three assists, and Michigan shot 8-for-15 from behind the arc in the first half.

Sure, the loss came with Wolverines do-it-all guard Caris LeVert sidelined. But road games are tough, and the Terps showed perseverance throughout. That’s reflected in the postgame grades.

Guard Melo Trimble: D-

This was weird. After hamstring tightness left him on the bench for the entire second half of the Rutgers game, Trimble commanded the spotlight in the Terps’ win over Wisconsin. But Tuesday was the complete opposite. He lacked the aggressiveness that his come to define his exciting Terps tenure. At one point late in the second half, he passed up an open 3-pointer to forward Robert Carter Jr. He finished with a career-low two points on 1 of 7 shooting.

Guard Rasheed Sulaimon: C-

Aside from a couple of late 3-pointers, Sulaimon was just as ineffective as Trimble. He nailed a couple of long balls to cut the Terps’ deficit to 69-65 with 1:15 left, but the Terps have come to expect more consistency out of the veteran, who shot 3-for-10.

Forward Jake Layman: A

Layman has been prone to disappearing on the offensive end at times this season, but he was the Terps’ best two-way player for the majority of the game. His biggest moment was tying the game at 54 with a 15-foot jumper that came off an offensive rebound. He finished with 18 points and 10 rebounds on a night the Terps desperately needed production.

Forward Robert Carter Jr: B+

Carter was his usual dominant self in the paint, with three of his four misses coming from long range. Late in the first half, the Wolverines doubled him in the corner and he easily dribbled past both defenders for a layup. He had 15 points.

Center Diamond Stone: A

With the game on the line, the Terps kept pounding the ball inside to Stone, and for good reason. The 6-foot-11 freshman scored 22 points and was a stellar 8-for-9 from the free-throw line. His ability turn offensive rebounds into and-1’s was on display multiple times, too. Stone also hauled in 11 rebounds for a double-double.

Guard Jared Nickens: D-

Nickens didn’t score, continuing his stretch off ineffectiveness. He went 0-for-4 with all of his misses coming from beyond the arc.

Guard Varun Ram: B-

Ram barely put a dent in the stat sheet, but he provided excellent defense for the Terps in 14 minutes. Turgeon seems to prefer Ram to Brantley as the backup point guard at the moment.