Louis, age 3, paints his pumpkin at College Park Day on September 27, 2014

About 2,500 people attended the fifth annual College Park Day on Saturday, the city’s largest event yet aimed at promoting local businesses and fostering a sense of community.

After last year’s success, the city moved the event from Herbert Wells Ice Rink to a larger parking lot at 5000 Paint Branch Parkway, across from the College Park Metro station, to accommodate a bigger crowd.

“In the past, we used to beg people to come,” said Gloria Aparicio Blackwell, university director of community engagement and College Park Day volunteer. “Now we’re turning people away.”

More than 100 vendors and organizations participated in College Park Day this year. University departments and groups, including the Student Government Association, MaryPIRG student chapter, manned tents, gave away merchandise and offered services to visitors.

Student gymnastics and acrobatics troupe Gymkana performed two shows, and local bands played live music.

New this year was the Pet Parade, in which city residents walked their pets around the lot for the chance to win awards such as best-dressed pet, best-behaved pet, and best in show. All proceeds from the parade went to the College Park Animal Welfare Committee. 

The city also expanded the day’s kids’ activities, adding an inflatable obstacle course and rock wall. Additionally, children could paint pumpkins and meet the Baltimore Orioles mascot.

College Park Day was started in 2010 when District 1 City Councilman Patrick Wojahn and a committee of residents decided to put together an event celebrating the diversity of the community.

“This to me is really an opportunity for students to find out what the College Park community has to offer,” Wojahn said. “We encourage students to come and learn more about the community that they live and go to school in.”

Junior kinesiology major Cassidy Cunningham and junior mathematics education major Danielle Van Horn learned about College Park Day from the signs placed around the campus, and their interest in arts and crafts drew them to attend.

“I really like eclectic things and supporting local artists … and just seeing what’s out here,” Cunningham said. “I love all the different crafts and unique things.” 

Van Horn said she enjoyed the opportunity to interact with the College Park community.

“I think its good to be familiar with all your surroundings — the types of people you may encounter, the types of businesses around — because that’s who you’re supporting by living in this city,” Van Horn said.

For senior Emma Murray, the event was a good chance to mingle with College Park residents, an experience she rarely has as a student.

“I think it’s cool to see all the residents of College Park and what they do, because we don’t really see a lot outside of campus,” the family science and psychology major said.

College Park resident Dan Stafford, who attended with his wife and 19-month-old son, felt the same way about his infrequent interactions with students.

“There’s a weird divide in College Park between you’re either a student or you’re not a student, and that’s kind of a bummer, so I wish there was a little more integration between the two communities,” Stafford said.

Event planner Denise Seifried said bridging that gap is what College Park Day is all about.

“College Park Day is supposed to be for everybody who lives in College Park: residents, students, faculty, staff, visitors,” Seifried said. “It’s not a city specific event for residents. We welcome the university population. In fact, we would love for the word to get out even more so that more [students] would come out and experience the day and have a good time and get to meet the local residents.”