Dez Wells

The Terrapins men’s basketball team learned Thursday afternoon that it would have an emphatic welcoming to the Big Ten when the conference released its schedule. The Terps first game in the conference will be against powerhouse Michigan State, the team that topped them in thrilling fashion in the second round of the 2010 NCAA tournament.

The Terps’ full 2014-15 schedule is now finalized so take a look:

2014 Maryland Men’s Basketball  Schedule

Sat., Nov. 1 vs. San Francisco State (Exhib.)

Sat., Nov. 8 vs. Bowie State (Exhib.)

Fri., Nov. 14 vs. Wagner

Mon., Nov. 17 vs. Central Connecticut State

Thu., Nov. 20  vs. Fordham

Mon., Nov. 24 vs. Arizona State (CBE Hall of Fame Classic in Kansas City)

Tue., Nov. 25 vs. TBD (CBE Hall of Fame Classic in Kansas City)

Fri., Nov. 28 vs. Monmouth

Sun., Nov. 30 vs. VMI

Wed., Dec. 3 vs. Virginia (ACC/Big Ten Challenge)

Sat., Dec. 6 vs. Winthrop

Wed., Dec. 10 vs. NC Central

Sat., Dec. 13 vs, USC Upstate

Sun., Dec. 21 at Oklahoma State

Sat., Dec. 27 vs. Oakland

Tue., Dec. 30 at Michigan State

Sat., Jan. 3 vs. Minnesota

Wed., Jan. 7 at Illinois

Sat., Jan. 10 at Purdue

Wed., Jan. 14 vs. Rutgers

Sat., Jan. 17 vs. Michigan State

Thu., Jan. 22 at Indiana

Sun., Jan. 25 vs. Northwestern

Thu., Jan. 29 at Ohio State

Wed., Feb. 4 vs. Penn State

Sun., Feb. 8 at Iowa

Wed., Feb. 11 vs. Indiana

Sat., Feb. 14 at Penn State

Thu., Feb. 19 vs. Nebraska

Tue., Feb. 24 vs. Wisconsin

Sat., Feb. 28 vs. Michigan

Tue., Mar. 3 at Rutgers

Sun., Mar. 8 at Nebraska

A matchup against former ACC foe Virginia and a visit to 2013 NCAA tournament participant Oklahoma State highlight the Terps’ nonconference slate. As for their first season in the Big Ten, here’s a look at a few key bouts: 

DEC. 30 THE TERPS AT MICHIGAN STATE

As previously mentioned, the last time these teams met on the hardwood was in the second round of the 2010 NCAA tournament, and the ending was as heartbreaking as it gets for Terps. After Terps point guard Grevis Vasquez hit a short floater to give his team a one-point lead with seven seconds left, Michigan State guard Korie Lucious barley beat the buzzer with a game-winning 3-pointer at the other end. Watch for yourself, if you can stomach it.

The Spartans went on to reach the final four that year. The Terps haven’t played in an NCAA tournament game since. The Spartans visit College Park on Jan. 17.

JAN. 3 MINNESOTA AT THE TERPS

The Terps first home Big Ten game had to make the list. Coach Richard Pitino, son of Hall of Famer Rick Pitino, will bring the Gophers into Xfinity Center for a crucial early season matchup three days into the new year.

JAN. 22 THE TERPS AT INDIANA

The Terps get their first chance to play at historic Assembly Hall as a conference opponent just before students return to campus for the second semester. The matchup will pit two prominent programs against each other, each of which missed out on the NCAA tournament last season. Tom Crean and Indiana come to College Park on Feb. 11.

JAN. 29 THE TERPS AT OHIO STATE

The Buckeyes beat the Terps silly last winter in Columbus with a 76-60 shellacking in the Big Ten-ACC Challenge. But Ohio State point guard Aaron Craft has since graduated and the Terps will look for revenge against a new look Buckeyes midway through their conference slate.

FEB. 24 WISCONSIN AT THE TERPS

The date and time of this game was previously announced, because it’ll be on national television as part of ESPN’s Super Tuesday. The Badgers are likely to be a top-10 team in preseason polls, and led by forward Sam Dekker, Bo Ryan’s squad is probably the favorite in the Big Ten. This late-season matchup could be one of the Terps best chances to score a marquee victory.

FEB. 28 MICHIGAN AT THE TERPS

Terps forward Evan Smotrycz played his first two seasons at Michigan, and transferred to this university the season before the Wolverines reached the NCAA title game. He’ll get his opportunity to best his former team several days after the bout with the Badgers, and the Terps will have a chance to measure themselves against a consistently successful program.