John Giannetti, lost in the Democratic primary to Jim Rosapepe.

State Sen. John Giannetti, fresh off a resounding defeat in the local Democratic primaries two weeks ago, told a group of Republicans yesterday that he has switched parties and will run as a Republican in November.

The Associated Press reported Giannetti’s comments at a large Republican fundraiser in Baltimore last night, where he told about 1,000 attendees that “there is room for a moderate in the Republican party” should he win in a general election bid against Democrat and former regent Jim Rosapepe.

Giannetti represents District 21, which includes College Park, Beltsville, Laurel and a sliver of Anne Arundel County. The district’s voter registration is among the most heavily Democratic in the area, which means an uphill battle for any Republican running there.

Nonetheless, clearing the way for Giannetti’s second run is Republican candidate John Stafford, who dropped out of the race yesterday and was quoted by the AP as saying that he thinks Giannetti stands a better chance than he did at defeating Rosapepe. According to election law, Giannetti will have to be appointed as the Republican challenger by the party’s central committee by Thursday in order to appear on the ballot.

News of Giannetti’s plans were apparently whispered about since he was defeated by Rosapepe with a margin of 1,600 votes on Sept. 14, but word of his plans began to circulate more intensely early yesterday. In an unrelated interview in Annapolis, Maryland Gov. Robert Ehrlich made mention of Giannetti’s intentions.

“He may be around next year,” Ehrlich said yesterday, but did not elaborate.

Ehrlich went on to say that he had a “great relationship” with Giannetti since the two men took office in 2002, agreeing on several issues, including a proposed campus connector road. During his primary campaign, Giannetti frequently cited his work with Ehrlich’s office in getting new safety lighting on roads near the College Park Metro station, which was unveiled days before the primary.

He also sided with Ehrlich on controversial measures such as the intercounty connector, which was opposed by all of the delegates in his district.

Rosapepe pounded away at Giannetti’s record during a bitter primary battle this summer, criticizing him for being too buddy-buddy with Ehrlich and suggesting Giannetti was not a true Democrat.

“He spent months claiming he was a Democrat, so I think people will be surprised, less than two weeks after he campaigned and said he as a Democrat, if he comes out and says he’s a Republican,” Rosapepe said. “If he decides to run as a Republican, No. 1, he’s going to lose again, and No. 2, I think most Democrats, Republicans and independents leaders want someone they can trust, and if someone says on Sept. 12, ‘I’m a Democrat,’ and on Sept. 26, ‘I’m a Republican,’ I think people will not react positively to that.”

Giannetti did not return repeated calls for comment.

Junior government and politics major Matt Stern, the field director for the Giannetti primary campaign, said the senator’s decision to run as a Republican reflects his desire to remain in the political arena.

“I think he still really wants to serve the district more and whether it is as a senator or something else isn’t the issue,” Stern said. “He wants to stay involved.”

Stern, who considers himself close with Giannetti, has not spoken with the senator in more than a week but said he attended a dinner with the Giannetti where he posed the possibility of switching parties to his supporters.

“We told him more or less that we’d love to see him in office but also to do what’s best for his political future,” Stern said, adding that he thought the move would hurt Giannetti’s future if he loses.

“Personally, it’s difficult because I’m not a Republican, but with a guy as eccentric as Giannetti, the Republican values aren’t necessarily what he subscribes to,” Stern said.

At last night’s city council meeting, Giannetti’s decision was met with mixed reviews. Some council members were speechless, and others burst out laughing.

“I always heard people murmuring that he was really a Republican,” Mayor Stephen Brayman said. “I can’t wait to chat with him about it.”

Contact reporter Owen Praskievicz at askieviczdbk@gmail.com.