Maryland men’s soccer forward Colin Griffith wriggled through two Michigan defenders. A feint touch freed him into the Wolverines’ box, and he dribbled in on goalie Isaiah Goldson.

The junior shot to the near post. His effort evaded Goldson’s outstretched arm, but Griffith didn’t place his attempt into the corner. The ball rang off the post and bounced away from the goal.

Griffith’s second big miss Friday highlighted the Terps’ worst attacking output in two months. Maryland’s wastefulness resulted in a 2-0 loss to Michigan, its first conference defeat of the season.

Maryland has been shutout in each of its two losses this season.

“[It’s important] that we also are continuing to play our brand of soccer going forward, and hopefully keep capitalizing on chances,” coach Sasho Cirovski said before Friday’s match.

The Terps’ defeat didn’t stem from a lack of scoring opportunities, they attempted 21 shots and placed nine on goal — including seven in the second half. Each effort was denied by Goldson, who made a season-high nine saves, or clanged off the woodwork.

[No. 6 Maryland field hockey rebounds with 3-0 win over Richmond]

Griffith’s first quality chance came inside the first 10 minutes when forward Sadam Masereka won a penalty. Midfielder Leon Koehl, who’s already converted six spot kick tries this campaign, was out. Griffith assumed Koehl’s role, but couldn’t replicate the midfielder’s success.

Maryland’s attack has excelled in 2024 largely because of Griffith.

The Terps have already eclipsed their goal-scoring tally from last season. Their standing as one of the top attacking Big Ten teams has propelled them to one of the top spots in conference standings.

Griffith is tied with Koehl for Maryland’s leading goal scorer. Each of his six goals have come from open play, and he’s scored five times against Big Ten teams.

But the Terps had few goal-scoring threats to turn to with Koehl absent and Griffith struggling. Maryland’s set pieces generated two chances, but with no end product.

Forward Max Rogers sent an out-swinging corner kick into the center of the box. Defender Jace Clark nodded the ball down, and Chris Steinleitner turned a shot toward goal.

[Maryland women’s soccer ends 2024 season with 1-1 tie against Rutgers]

It was on frame off the midfielder’s foot but fell right to Goldson.

With more than 15 minutes left, Rogers sent another corner into the area. The initial ball didn’t create a chance, but Clark’s recycled cross did. Griffith jumped in the center of the box —his header tipped the crossbar before going out of play.

The Terps have improved dramatically since finishing last in the conference last season. It’s been made possible through a potent attack that ranks among the top 50 offenses in the country, with 10 different goal-scorers.

Friday’s dismal performance won’t help Maryland win critical matchups as its regular season ends this week. To win the Big Ten and progress deep into the national tournament, the Terps must finish their chances in front of the net.

“It’s in our own hands,” midfielder Alex Nitzl said. “We’ve learned our lessons, and now we’re ready to make up for it.”