A new sports apparel and memorabilia store opened in College Park on Route 1 Friday during the University of Maryland’s homecoming weekend.

Rally House, a retail partner of the Big Ten with more than 250 locations nationwide, offers products from well-known brands such as Under Armour as well as items from local businesses, according to Colin Novick, the company’s media and production manager.

Each Rally House store is unique to the community it’s located in, Novick said.

In addition to merchandise of this university, the store features products for local sports teams such as the Washington Commanders, Baltimore Ravens and Washington Nationals. Customers can also find more niche, local items, such as Old Bay-themed socks.

The new Rally House location under Landmark Apartments, which was previously occupied by Target, is a “prominent” location in College Park, District 3 council member Stuart Adams told The Diamondback.

[New sports apparel store to receive grant from College Park]

The space is the first retail store drivers see as they enter downtown College Park from the north, he said. The city is a “prime spot” for the apparel store, Adams added.

After Target’s closure in May 2023, it was challenging for the city to find a new tenant for the space, Michael Williams, College Park’s economic development director, told The Diamondback in September.

“We were trying to find the right kind of tenant to put in there, and so with Rally House, they fit the bill and hopefully we’ll have a long run with them,” Williams said.

Before Rally House opened, the College Park City Council provided the store with a business retention and attraction assistance grant, The Diamondback previously reported.

The grant included up to $130,000 for buildout and other capital costs, while Rally House covered the remaining $1.3 million, The Diamondback reported in September.

[Shake Shack, Greene Turtle among 2024 College Park business additions]

The grant helped the store get a “firm footing for a successful launch,” Novick said, adding that it was nice to see the community support Rally House’s opening.

Daisy Gray, a junior psychology major at this university, visited the store during its opening weekend after she walked by it with her family.

Gray said she enjoyed the store’s selection and that she felt there were more options available than in the University Book Center, which also sells merchandise.

Moving forward, the company hopes to host community events in partnership with this university and Under Armour to build awareness and excitement around the store, according to Novick. Rally House is also working with athletes at this university to plan opportunities for students and fans to meet their favorite athletes at the store.

Rally House will be open from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Saturday and 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Sunday, with extended hours on and around game days, according to Novick.