Scoring penalty corner goals has become habitual for No. 8 Maryland field hockey in recent weeks. It continued that trend against No. 7 Michigan on Sunday.

Emma DeBerdine played an entry pass in the 20th minute to Hope Rose. The senior connected on the set ball, sending a deflection off of a Wolverines defender. They watched as the ball slowly sailed into the cage at the far post.

The Terps added another goal in the fourth quarter, again using a penalty corner. Maryland secured a 2-0 victory at home over Michigan, its most significant victory of the season in a top-ten conference clash.

“We all did our jobs very well today, which is something that we didn’t do very well on Friday,” DeBerdine said. “I think it’s a very positive thing that we were able to clean it up and get two goals in two corners.”

The Terps’ (10-4, 5-2 Big Ten) win gave the Wolverines (11-2, 4-1 Big Ten) their first Big Ten loss of the campaign.

Shots were limited for both teams in the opening quarter despite an abundance of opportunities.

Michigan won a penalty corner just four minutes in — the game’s first clear scoring chance. It quickly turned into an opportunity for Maryland.

[Maryland field hockey allows goal in final minute, drops top-ten clash to Ohio State, 2-1]

Forward Juliette Manzur took an entry pass that evaded the setter. Manzur’s insert rolled directly to the Terps, opening up a counter attack along the right side. Forward Maci Bradford dribbled into the shooting circle after a string of downfield passes, but the Wolverines disposed of her as the sophomore swung her stick back to strike a shot.

Maryland’s stalled counter attack was one of many in the early going. Junior forward Fleur Knopert dragged a shot wide of Michigan’s cage in the eighth minute in the only first quarter attempt for either side.

Both teams were urgent in the opening frame. The Terps tried to keep pace with the Wolverines, who entered the day as the best scoring team in the Big Ten. But many of the early attacking moves resulted in turnovers.

Rose’s penalty corner score in the 20th minute gave Maryland a consequential advantage. Michigan was in an unfamiliar spot — it hadn’t trailed since its third game of the season.

The Wolverines attacked with greater urgency after falling behind. The Terps’ play shifted into a more defensive brand to match Michigan’s pressure, remaining stout as one of the best units in the nation.

[Maryland field hockey’s improved penalty corners have fueled recent success]

Maryland’s defense equaled every effort during the final ten minutes of the first half. It held the Wolverines’ high-powered offense to just one shot ahead of halftime to maintain a 1-0 advantage at the break.

The Terps’ strong defense wasn’t limited to their defenders. Rose, after scoring in the first half, assisted on the defensive end in the third quarter.

Michigan played a 37th minute penalty corner to sophomore Esmée de Willigen. Rose dashed toward the Wolverine forward, stealing the ball off of de Willigen’s stick right as she attempted to shoot.

The Terps followed that stand up with a team effort four minutes later.

Several Michigan attackers crashed Maryland’s cage, putting an attempt on goal from close range. Sophomore goalkeeper Alyssa Klebasko combined with a cohort of Terp defenders to push the look off of their goal line.

Michigan piled on the pressure late but still struggled to find a score. Maryland added a cushion goal in the 58th minute.

Defender Josie Hollamon took possession of a penalty corner entry pass, dribbling to her right. The sophomore fired a slow shot that rolled past Michigan goalkeeper Hala Silverstein. The ball took a final touch off of a Wolverine defender and deflected into the cage.

“[It was] certainly unexpected, but the unexpected can be the best friend,” coach Missy Meharg said.

Hollamon’s goal effectively sealed the result of an excellent win for the Terps.

Michigan finished the contest with more shots and penalty corners, though the statistical advantage didn’t amount to anything. The Wolverines couldn’t turn their chances into scores against Maryland’s suffocating defensive block.

“In only one other game [this season] we had a statsheet where we were outshot and out cornered,” Meharg said. “And you know what, I think we’ve won many championships where the stat sheet looked like that.”