As clips of Tyler, the Creator and Kendrick Lamar — musical icons from their respective hip-hop enclaves — flashed on the projector screen, local artists took the stage to loud applause, eager to perform their latest songs.

Cultoure Magazine, a student-led publication at the University of Maryland that focuses on pushing the boundaries of modern fashion, held its first concert, Cultoure Unplugged, at Stamp Student Union Saturday night.  

The welcoming atmosphere, coupled with the appreciation and respect shown between performing artists, made it clear collaboration and community engagement are key for the organization — something its creators have been striving for from the beginning.

[Alfie Templeman makes waves with latest album ‘Radiosoul’ and tour]

“The main purpose of the magazine is to really highlight the intersection of art, music, fashion, culture,” said junior mathematics major Gabrielle Felix, the publication’s president and founder. 

The magazine’s first event last spring, a take on New York Fashion Week, was more style oriented, while Cultoure Unplugged marked a new beginning for the publication as it expanded into other artforms, Felix said.

The night began with a DJ set by Prince George’s County producer Chaseonaux, who provided sounds and production for many artists who performed. Junior technology and information design major Jayden Ervin, who performed as Mr Clover, was one of the headliners.

Dressed head to toe in a denim shirt and jeans — adhering to the denim dress code of the event — Ervin described his music as “the soundtrack to growing out of adolescence.” He said he decided to perform at the event to get more exposure and be surrounded by other musicians.  

“They have a really good community of artists,” Ervin said. “There’s a lot of creatives around who, like me, just want to show what they can do to as many people as possible.”

The party-like atmosphere was hard to ignore as Chaseonaux spun tracks, mixing in erratic percussion arrangements and smooth transitions. Some attendees danced to the music as the bright neon lights flashed across the room, while artists scheduled next to perform mingled among the crowd.

The first to take the stage was local artist Girly!, who performed three songs, encouraging the crowd to join in. Next was Mr Clover, whose set was marked by impassioned, rapid-fire delivery and featured “On My Way,” which was put out on Monday, and an unreleased song. 

[‘Las Muertes Más Bellas Del Mundo’ explores loss, identity]

R&B singer Matt Ochay took the stage with five-piece band Fontana, whose rhythmic backing paired well with Ochay’s soulful vocals. The closing song broke down into jazz fusion accompanied by otherworldly guitar solos. 

Another R&B singer, Chemx, performed buttery smooth vocals with Fontana. Malik Da Prince, one of the rappers who took the stage next, showed off humorous, well-written lyrics, while Damn Risky concluded the night with a high-energy performance.

The showcase’s emcee, Leen Osman, a junior criminology and criminal justice major and event organizer at Cultoure Magazine, enjoyed how the night unfolded, especially after several obstacles and only two weeks of planning time.

“On the last week, four of our artists dropped, but I clutched up and contacted some artists,” Osman said. “To me, it was a success.”