The University of Maryland SGA’s transportation and infrastructure committee hosted a mini accessibility audit Wednesday for Disability Awareness Month.

Students and staff members walked around a small area of campus and made stops at Union Lane Garage, the University Health Center, the Edward St. John Learning and Teaching Center, Hornbake Library and the Microbiology Building parking lot.

Attendees were encouraged to look for things that didn’t comply with Americans with Disabilities Act standards, such as non-accessible parking routes, a lack of contrasting color on stairways and a shortage of cohesive ramps.

Emily Singer Lucio, this university’s Americans with Disabilities Act and 504 coordinator, attended the audit and said it was helpful to see what needs to be improved around campus. It helped her learn more about students’ perspectives, she added.

“Accessibility benefits everybody from a universal design access,” Lucio said. “I think that’s what is critically important is, that when we think about accessibility, we are designing it for multiple needs and not just one user.”

[UMD SGA passes bill to promote campus accessibility]

Nancy Loy, a graduate student who attended the audit, said she’s experienced some accessibility issues on campus. Loy is part of the Golden ID program, which allows eligible senior citizens to take courses at this university.

Loy has noticed a lack of elevator signage, people misusing designated handicapped spaces and an abundance of unavoidable staircases. Her biggest concern, however, is about the destruction of handicap parking spaces during Purple Line construction.

“Not only is it inconvenient, but it makes me feel like I’m worthless, or that I’m seen as worthless,” she said. “If I had to crawl, I would [still] come to class.”

Paisley Brockmeyer, the Student Government Association’s transportation and infrastructure committee director, planned and hosted Wednesday’s audit. She said the event was meant to bring awareness to accessibility issues on campus, while also celebrating and recognizing some recent positive developments.

[UMD SGA passes resolution in support of national anti-hazing bill]

The senior physiology and neurobiology major brought the audit group to the University Health Center to applaud the newly constructed ramp.

Brockmeyer said a major takeaway from the audit is the pressing need for more accessible rest areas, such as benches, around campus.

The SGA hopes to make the accessibility audit an annual event, she added, similar to its yearly campus safety walk. The SGA’s bylaws require the annual safety walk, Brockmeyer said, and she hopes the accessibility audit is added to the bylaws soon.

“I’ve poured my heart and soul into this committee, and I really hope that it works to make the student experience better,” Brockmeyer said.